Is this for real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Well, F bass, which the Alain Caron reference is to, is not in Montreal. I also cannot see a 5th tuning peg, maybe it's there, but it isn't apparent.

2. Well if you look at the first pic, there appears to be something in the center of the headstock. If thats the tunung peg, how do you tune it?
  3. The tuning peg for I believe would be the A string is located on the bridge. I cannot remeber the name of the company who made these but I remeber reading about them. I am not sure how the ball end of the string fastens by the nut though. I cant imagine wanting a 5 string like that th tring spacing has to be realy tight. Especially having been done on an Ibanez who already seems to have tight string spacing from all that I have played.
  4. its definately not worth anywhere near $1000.00 maybe $400... but not a grand...
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Back in the early days when fives where hard to come by, this was an alternative. The extra string tuned at the bridge. Wilkinson made a setup like this IIRC. The string spacing would be extremely tight.
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    it's 1000 canadian, about 650 USD

Also, he meant MF luthier in montreal. Alain Caron used to play MF basses before he switched to F.

Bromont is quite far from me, but if anybody (suporting member) is interested in the bass, i will go look for it and try it for you.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I remember playing a Fender P with the Wilkinson conversion bridge & the Spacing was TIGHT & the Musician necks are much narrower than a Fender P. I'd stay away
  8. I use to have a Musician just like that one and it was the best Ibanez bass I ever played. My X-Wife had bought it for me years ago and I sold it when I got re-married. The neck was just a little wider than a Jazz if any at all. Adding a 5th string would make string spacing just too tight. Looks like a good way to screw up a good bass.