Is this for real????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Limo, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
  2. No

12 vote(s)
  1. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

The Guild thing is true. If its the same bass?? I dont think so.
  3. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Was he going to have Guild make him a 5 string bass??
  4. I could almost swear that thing was just up for auction a few weeks ago. Wouldn't worry about it too much.
  5. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I don't really trust it too much. Well I don't really trust any specialty basses on eBay actually. The picture of the serial number is really blurry so you can't even be sure that it has the right serial number. It may be the real deal but I have a bad feeling about it.
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The pic of the serial nimber looks fine to me. I can distinctly see the number "JJ000003".
  7. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I don't know. I just can't see it. I can kinda see the middle but not the front or back. I must just be going blind.:(
  8. Bass of Spades

Bass of Spades

Oct 20, 2002
    did/do they stamp the number right into the wood like that?
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Weren't Bartolinis called Hi-A back then? And the Gotoh-looking tuners? It looks nice, but I'd be really suspect about being the Jaco Guild. Oh well. Looks nice.
  10. By 1987, Gotoh tuners were commonplace and Bill Bartolini was putting his name on his pickups.
  11. Just as a side note, an English company, I think it was Jaydee, made a Jaco prototype J bass with an ebony board. It was profiled in Bassist magazine.
  12. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I have a 1989 Guild Advance Pilot 4 string that is the same body color, ebony fretboard, abalone block inlays and Gotoh machines but with a P/J Bartolini setup instead. From what I understand Guild also made the Advance Pilot in a 5 string but but with the same P/J Bart setup. From what I heard Jaco was colaberating with Guild at the time and it was to differ from the Advanced with a J/J setup.
  13. I thought Jaco only had 4 strings? :p :rolleyes:

14. I can also see that serial number :)

she's a beauty, thats for shure!
  15. odie

odie Supporting Member

It seems I just read somewhere about this bass. Maybe a magazine, does anyone remember?
  16. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    It looks like a nice bass but I am surprised that Jaco wanted a fretted 5, so I'll side with the "No" - but this is not based on any actual facts that I have.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I also remember reading about this bass.
  18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Where was this written about at?? Its driving me nuts because I saw it somewhere else.
  19. Jaco in fact helped design the Pilot series back in 84'. The first advance didn't come out until 88'. As far as SB905's...Guild only made 5...yup 5... so if you got one...NEVER GET RID OF IT!