1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this fret buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Speedbird, Sep 23, 2000.

1. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Bass: 4 month old Modulus Quantum SS-4. (35" scale, Lane-Poor p/u & Bartolini 3bnd pre-amp, composite neck, wood fingerboard, flawless medium size frets, factory 40/60/80/100 nickel strings, action medium low, almost zero neck relief)

Problem?: All notes ring through loud and clear on every fret. However, unless I fret the note very close to the fret (last 25%), I get a buzz from the still vibrating string against the fret directly below my finger. It is quite loud acousticaly, but maybe 25% gets amplified. If I release the note faster/crisper & play closer to the fret it goes away. Also it is worse in the first position. Is this fret buzz or just a characteristic of the instrument? No other frets are involved just the one beeing fretted upon release. I don't have a lot of time to experiment with the set-up and would appreciate a point in the right direction (increase relief, file nut, raise action?)

RGDS

2. Speedbird - obviously from your description none of the remedies you have suggested would work since they would only affect the more common buzzing of subsequent frets. You are using a fairly light gauge string and it is here that I can see the only possible solution. Perhaps a slightly heavier set of strings is in order. A medium gauge set starting at about .105.

Are your hands particularly small or fingers especially thin? The reason I ask is that there should be plenty of mass in your fingers to dampen the string at the fret as you release a note.

Maybe it IS just a characteristic of the instrument. This has kind of got me stumped.

3. Speedbird, I'm not stumped anymore!

I sat down with my basses and tried to replicate the condition you have been describing. I did it with no effort at all. All of my fretted instruments have just a little buzz as I release the note just like you noticed. This is not "fretbuzz" per se. It is, however, a natural occurence and is probably more noticable with fresh, bright strings.

Don't worry, I think it's supposed to be this way.

4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the reply. I am tending to think that it is just the nature of the instrument. With a bass so solid, punchy and sensitive with almost infinite sustain there has to be a compromise somewhere. I put a little relief in the neck and it did nothing. I don't want to raise the action, so I just might tighten up my technique a little. Re: strings on my last bass I must have tried every single brand/ gauge from .95 all the way to those ridiculus "Snarlin' Dog" 1.15! I ended up sticking to 100 or 105's for the feel. With my 35" scale I can keep the 100's with the tension like 105's.

Anyone with similar buzzing experience?

5. I have / had a similar buzzing experience. The buzzing is all acousticaly. Though some frets buzz more than others.
    Some buzz not and one somewhat louder than the rest (5th fret, A-string).