Is this guy for real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whoa! I don't know what to make of that. If it's true, then this is an amazing piece "our" history!
  2. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    If its real, wow.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ummm, maybe I was mistaken, but i belived the P-Bass was the FIRST bass leo ever made, and then the Jazz-Bass model came out as the upgraded or "Deluxe" version?!?!?!?! If thats true, this could not be BEFORE th P-Bass, and this guy is full of crap. if you ask me, that bass looks little like a common jazzbass without a pick garud and, someone wanted to pop in "Soapbar" type sized pickups, but then popped in some jazz type pick ups instead......I smell a rat.....

I could be wrong. mayhaps i am.

EDIT: Just saw the bass had been refinished....

Maybe this dude is for real?
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wouldn't but it. Seems fishy to me.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    It looks like crap to me...and $20,000???? He's got to be kidding.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    $20,000 & the reserve is not met. :meh: :rolleyes: This guy is out of his mind.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's selling the history more than he is the bass. I wouldn't buy it, because I have no way of knowing. I don't think that the price will go past 8 or 9k, because the story seems farfetched. It's kinda like buying those $300 shots of 200 year old cognac. How do you know it's really that old? If I were him, I'd market it in Japan.
  8. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The pic of the headstock with the logo looks edited to me...
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

With the purported history, the seller can say anything they want.

The aspects that make me skeptical are;

- 3 knobs (the oldest had 2)
    - the rubber knobs (the oldest used steel)
    - no string mute on the bridge

If it's for real, cool. It's a nice story that sounds convincing. I just don't think the whole thing smells right.
  10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Well, Speedy West Jr. looks for real.

Sometimes a few of the facts are a little wrong, but it doesn't make the whole story wrong. He is clearly incorrect on which came first, the Precision or the Jazz, but that could still be a fairly old and unique piece. Looks like real clay dots on the neck. Not worth 20k though, no sir.

The gaping pickup cavities bug me. What's up with that? Is he saying they normally would have precision pickups, but wouldn't the cavity then be staggered like the PU?
  11. A guy I played with for a while claimed that his father, who was a profesional touring musician in the fifties and sixties, had a jazz bass that he bought 1959, and later sold to a Japanese collector (for nowhere near $ 20 000 BTW, maybe he should've waited a few years to make a real fortune). So, even though there might have been a few prototypes made before 1960, that one on Ebay looks fishy. And if it actually is real, it belongs in a museum, not in a climate controlled warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

On a side note, the above quoted story doesn't come from what I consider to be a reliable source (there's a reason why I don't play, or even talk to, that guy I once played with...).
  12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Highly suspicous, and considering the condition of the bass, I can't imagine it's anywhere near worth what he's asking.

For anyone interested, I have the ax that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree.

I had to replace the handle.

And the head.

But it occupies the same space intrinsically in the Universe as the original.

I'm asking $20,000.

13. I read in the 50th aniversary p-bass bassstreet mag, that early jazz bass proto's had jazzmaster looking bass pickups. that would support those funny looking routes. They do look like slightly bigger jazzmaster pickups.
  14. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    yeah, you can see a bit of the last z there.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now, I have little doubt that this is a fake, but, wouldn't it be ironic if in fact, it was the real deal?
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No. because, it's not.
  17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i may be pushing the envelope of paranoia here but his feedback seems a bit contrived (like some of it were by the same person under different names) and the fact that there was no S or B after the item numbers to designate him as the buyer or seller... i would stay away :eek:
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It doesn't say this bass predates P basses. Read it again.

I don't know if it's real or not but with no more than what I see I wouldn't call him full of crap.
  19. Too bad that Leo isn't around to verify the story. Of course the story could be true and the bass still may not be the one claimed.

It seems to me that, for the work claimed to have been done on the body (sanding, then refinishing) that some signs of that would appear in the pickup routes. If it was me refinishing the bass I would have also finished inside the oversize routes, but the wood in them still looks pretty fresh in the photo.:confused:

However, the fretboard looks authentic, at least in the photo. I wonder if anyone at Fender has a comment on the history?

Regardless, I wouldn't pay squat for it. :spit:

I think Speedy is trying to pull a fast one - I think I'll call him "Swifty". ;)