Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this guy playing bass or Jazz/classical guitar?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tony G, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'd love to see someone pull off those bigass chords on a fretless.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's awesome!

It's definitely not standard classical guitar technique, because he's using his pinky as well as up/down thumbstrokes. It's more like a modified flamenco guitar technique.

I've heard of this guy before, but I've never seen him.

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Dominique Di Piazza just amazes me. He's been around for a while but hit the bass community like gang busters when he was at the Fodera and Epifani booths at NAMM 2005.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Dominique is definitely in the top handful of electric bassists in the world today.

He's only on a handful of recordings, having retired from music between 1992 and 2000 (that includes giving up playing the bass).

To have come back to the bass and quickly re-establish yourself as one of the masters of the instrument is amazing. He mostly plays with just his thumb and middle finger (and tears up single-note lines doing so), but also has the amazing chordal approach demonstrated in that video. The amazing thing about Dominique is the sheer musicality of his playing, not just what the plucking hand is doing.

You need to check out:
    John McLaughlin - 'Que Alegria'
    Front Page - 'Front Page'
    Carbonne, Di Piazza, Manring - www.carbonnedipiazzamanring.com

His own website is www.dominiquedipiazza.com

He doesn't get to play outside France much, but playing the trade shows for Epifani and Fodera is helping him build up his profile.

Here's a video of Dominique back in in 1991 with John McLaughlin: http://www.spikesbigadventure.com/mp3s/videos/mclaughlin trio 1991 QueAlegria.wmv

5. Cody_Gibs1

Cody_Gibs1 Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
  6. Cody_Gibs1

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
  7. Cody_Gibs1

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
  8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't get why you posted this three times, thesaddpenguin....

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Victor Wooten is where I draw the line between bass and lead bass.

As incredible as he is, that's not really bass. In other words, it doesn't fulfill the bass's role in a band, IMHO.

-Eric.

10. Ever since I started coming to TalkBass, I've seen a number of video clips of amazing players like that. I'm starting to think it's normal!

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

The bar has been raised a few notches. This is the best time to be a bassist IMO, sooooo man cats just blowing through boundries for the rest of us.

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've had that Carbonne, DiPiazza, Manring disc for a while and it is outstanding. I think it goes wayyy beyond any kind of wankery. Carbonne plays some amazing sub-bass, Manring is well... Manring, and DiPiazza does his thing in a very musical way. To me, it breaks away from the "Bass Extremes" kind of stuff and is on par with any other jazz trio album. You don't have to be a bass-geek to get it.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

What does this have to do with anything in this thread?

14. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    Sorry guys but, as impressive as the athleticism of the phenomenon is, it sounds like someone throwing a bag of spanners down the stairs. It's mechanically clever but where is the music? The beauty of instrumental tone is what, for me, defines a musicians voice. There is no tone here, no beauty - for me it has no more value than a juggler. :spit:

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey, juggling is hard :)

And I actually liked his tone and execution personally, but I suppose thats all a matter of personal preference. To me it was also very musical.

16. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    that little guy sitting on his knee is also really good

17. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    ^ ROFL :D

Of course it won't execute the rlole of bass in a band, but as a solo piece it's frighteningly excellent. Although on the oter hand musi supposed to be performed on guitar should be performed on guitar...

18. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    As incredible as that playing was, it's not really playing bass in a way that would fulfill a bassists role. I don't know how else to say it.

-Eric.