1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this guy trying to scam me. EBAY?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Linas, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, so im selling the wiring and pickups for a j bass and the pickguard on ebay. This dude emails me and asks:

"Hi, may I know how much will shipping be to Manila, Philippines? Am thinking of combined shipping for both the pick-ups and the pickguard if that is possible. Thanks. I pay my eBay purchases (without a single problem at all)through Western Union Money Transfer and I hope that's acceptable. Many thanks!"

The guy has 20 possitive feedback. Should i be sketched out by this, i said only paypal and money orders.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe.

Personally, I'd almost refuse it if I could...iduno.

3. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    He may be legit, but I would personally not deal with it. Shipping to another country can be a hassle, I once sold a Gibson SG to a guy in Canada. Everything went well and in the end there were no problems, but the customs paperwork was a pain.
    There are plenty of buyers in the U.S. Any items I put on eBay state they will only be shipped to the lower 48.

4. i would say as long as you get the money first, its fine...if he does send the money order, make sure its verified.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    If he says a third party is sending a money order for more than the amount and you are to cash it and wire the remaining funds to him via Western Union be leary.

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

What I usually do on overseas shipments is give the buyer the package dimensions and weight and let them figure out what shipping will be. They may need to figure in duties, etc.

I give them as much information as I can but ultimately its up to them and I make that very clear so they can't come back at me if they miscalculate or over look some charge.

7. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have sold a lot of gear on ebay and I personally don't mess with the hassle of overseas shipments. For one thing, when you sell on ebay you start getting tons of spam, just like that message you posted. I know, I have a lot of similiar messages in my google mail account right now. Just wait for US bidders, they will come. BTW I would advice against wire transfers, just bad karma as it seems really unsafe.

- David