1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Heaven? No. It's a power trio!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jamvan, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Back in my playing days and again now that I've gotten back into it, I always practiced and played in 5 piece (or more) bands. I never found it overly confining because that is really all I knew.

Until now.

I just got home from an hour long tryout that lasted 3 1/2 hours. Bandleader singer/guitarist, drummer and me. All I can say is wow! Simultaneously exhilarating and terrifying! So much room to spread out yet so much exposure for playing a bum note or two (or seven!).

The good knews is, I got the position. The better news is, it's a band with paying gigs lined up for the next several months (out into September). The best news is, these guys are tight.

Pinch me!

2. Next you're going to be telling us you get roadies everywhere. And free strings and beers.

3. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    They did say that free food and beer does happen frequently.

...but I'll believe that when I see it (or taste it!).

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I love playing in a power trio!

My current band has been going strong for about 4 years now. We get compliments all the time about how full we sound.

Monster Truck likes this.
  5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Wait.... wuh? Where's the part about them not responding to your emails? The drummer who can't keep a beat? Surely there must be SOMETHING to complain about!!?????

I say rage quit!

6. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Careful posting about a positive band experience in Band Management...dont want to jinx it! ;)

Jamvan likes this.
  7. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    As a bit of a pessimi...er, REALIST, I'd feel more comfortable with at least one of the wheels coming off this thing before I get too far down the path! :thumbsup:

Seanto likes this.
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Welcome aboard.
    I play in trios now and with a few exceptions along the way always have, and for all the reasons you have just discovered.
    It is nice to have another instrument in the mix, but I find I quickly tire of it and go back to the trio format.
    It's just home to me.

Jamvan likes this.
  9. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We'll need pictures for proof. ;)

Kudos to you for finding some decent folks to gig with. I'm looking forward to your first gig report. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Jamvan likes this.
  11. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    This is in the band management forum so...

fire them?

Abrahampost likes this.
  12. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I've only played in power trios. Getting 3 guys on board is hard enough.

13. vocals aside we are essentially a 3 piece. And I like it. Never had as much fun playing bass in bands with multiple guitars or guitar and a full time keyboard. There's just not on enough sonic space for me to have fun playing bass. And these days the harmony pedals are good enough that you don't need two guitars to pull off a lot of two guitar sounds. And the phrase sampler pedals are good enough you don't need a keyboard player. So why have a full time second guitarist or keyboardist thatsnreallynonly utilized part time and you have to split money with all the time.

14. Playing with a keyboard player is a nightmare 90% of the time outside of jazz.

15. Jazz pianists can even need ''the talk'' about comping chords instead of walking another bassline.

16. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Just had another 4 hour practice yesterday (my first gig with them is next Saturday) and I decided to use my Squier Chris Aiken P w/GZR's as its much lighter than my Fender Jazz Special. To extend the heaven metaphor, not a peep about the brand but plenty of compliments on the tone!

Also, prior to my joining, the BL shared bass duties as their former "bassist" wanted to play guitar on a third of the songs. As such, my mediocre true bassist skills are shining right now as I'm actually playing outside the root. Not much but enough that they're stoked to have some counter melodies and accents rumbling around in the lower register.

Now if only I could get my singing chops back in order...

17. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Ok, they DO want to play Brown Eyed Girl next weekend. Probably the beginning of the end...

18. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    There you go. NOW you should rage quit.

Winfred and Jamvan like this.
  19. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I like power trios so much, I even prefer listening to them over everything else. But I do have to make a few exceptions, like with the Beatles, etc. Nevertheless, there is nothing like playing in a power trio. It just can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.