Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this heresy or vandalism?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jul 31, 2000.

1. I have a Rob Allen MB2 fretless with a piezo. I am thinking of..

Dare I admit it?

...fitting a pair of jazz bass pickups to the bass to give an alternative circuit...and a really solo-able fretless sound.

Opinions? Comments? Curses?

Andy

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Gosh...

As a proponent of the creative-tool vs. work-of-future-vintage-atr-piece point of view, I say do whatever will make your tool more useful. Even if it just makes you FEEL cooler (which I know is below your level, but still...), then I think you'll make better music. Fooey on the "desecration" thing. It's not Rob's any more, is it -- it's YOURS and YOU are the only person you need to answer to. [​IMG]

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I agree. You have to realize that resale value usually goes out with the sawdust, but you will have a unique instrument. I almost always mess with my basses in some way, but I tend to keep instruments. Good luck!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Go for it, Andy. If you don't care about the resale value...neither do I [​IMG]

The only other problem I foresee is, what if the mods don't sound good? Kind of tough to "de-route" [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Brad Johnson (edited August 01, 2000).]