Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this how it starts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tash, May 17, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This morning I ditched my low A and restrung my bass DGCFBb (my guitarists are in the "tune 1 step down" camp). I have never played a treble strung 5 before...its FUN. Those high notes really sing, aside from soloing I really like the option to grab a third or fifth along with any of the accents I play on F string for a fuller tone.

The downside....I still miss my low A. Since the A sounds like mud most of the time I can live with the loss, but I'm already starting to wonder about a drop tuned 6 teamed with some monstrous low end pumping sub...

Is this how all of you many-stringed bassists started?

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    For a lot of us, I think the primary driver has been something similar in thought to your situation .... the existing configuration/range of the standard 4 string is not meeting your musical needs. So you broaden your options by first fooling around with what you have, then eventually getting something that has even more strings, therefore more options :bassist: It's not that long a leap to understand why an 8, 9 or more stringed bass is needed.

I started on a four, needed the B, tried alternate tunings on a 4 then 5 string, needed the higher C for some chording and lead work, moved to a 6, and I'm now at a point where I may need to fool with the tunings again or go to a 7.

For some others, I have the feeling that they think it's cool to play a 6 or 7, but they're really not committed to it. Just a guess, but they're probably the basses you see for sale on the 'bay :(

Yeah, sounds like you're headed down the ERB path ... :D

3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I like a 6'er for my solo stuff (and I don't necessary mean playing "lead"... but for stuff that I am writing, recording and producing as instrumental music outside of any band(s) for myself...) for chording and stuff.

I mostly like it so I can stay in standard A440 tuning and if the guitar player wants to tune all the way down to C or whatever I can get there without having to completely retune my basses. I don't have a hard time transposing.

And yeah, pulling out a 6'er does have a certain "coolness" factor to it, especially with audiences in bars. (sheesh, did I just admit that?...)

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Crap...just what I need ANOTHER thing to spend money on.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you get a 6, you'll find that the B is usually muddy enough ;)

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That why god in vented 21" subs...whappo grande anyone? :)

8. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    i'll take mine with Fries and a shake please :) :bassist: