Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this hybrid Shen a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by hensonbass, May 12, 2005.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    A local retailer has a hybrid (model 150) for sale. He has done the set up very well and installed Obligato strings. Comes with a Mooradian (USA) case and will adjust the bass for free as long as I have it and offers a 100% trade in policy.

The bass plays very easy and it sounds great for what it is -even and full sound whether plucked or bowed.

$3,000 (includes tax)

Is this a good deal or am I overpaying?

I don't expect a steal 'cause I understand he needs to make a living. On the other hand the last bass I bought 3 years ago was a 100 year old carved Czech bass for $3,500 (granted I got lucky).

Should I try to get lucky again or just go with this bird? I need a working man's bass for the summer and I don't want to trash my carved basses instead :help:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Sounds overpriced to me. $2500 would be a fairer price. I'd ask for a bit more off. However, the shop warranty adn trade-in policy may be worth $500 to you, so that should be considered.

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, the tax on a bass of this price is between $150-$200, and Moordian bags run $200-$300. It sounds like a fair price, and you should always buy from a person that can service you and the instrument after the sale.

4. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I decided to get the Shen. A big thanks to Nick for giving me some really great advice on the phone: develop a good relationship with your local dealer/repairman. It comes in real handy when you're in a bind.

I've never owned a new DB before. I wonder how the sound will change with time- it sounds great as it is now. Ronald Sachs makes these basses play easy as lard is greasy and he's willing to adjust them until they're just right for you.

I've ordered a Revolution Solo pickup instead of putting on my trusted Realist this time. New beginnings indeed. :D

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sounds like a great beginning...congratulations.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The Deal of service and trade-in sounds good. That's a 100% value if you trade up. Also, the Bags are not cheap anymore.. I don't know all the Shen prices but the 2 that I have, fully carved 800 7/8 and 1000 3/4 have give no problems at all. They are maturing now and sound great. The Old Bass you had was a great deal and they happen from time to time. The thing to keep in mind is 'new Bass' = 'new money'. Old Basses go for what the owners want for them.

Many Basses for 2,3 and 4 times the price are not always as satisfying right out of the gate. Sounds like yours is a 'great' deal.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ah, Overlooked the bag thing. At any rate, sound like you did good. The service agreement probably won't be too badly needed, but who knows how your taste will change as far as setup. It could come in very handy. Best of luck with your new bass- those shens are very attractive instruments!

8. Congratulations...i'm a bit confused though. Your profile says that you have a full size Prescott and a 3/4 carved German bass. I guess it's just that I would find it almost impossibe to post under the Basses Forum Heading without bragging a bit about my Prescott.
    I've heard many people, including myself, who use that term 'Plays like butter' in reference to playability, but never 'Plays easy as lard is greasy' I love it!
    Sounds like a real good deal and keep us posted on the age/sound maturity.
    How about a picture of your Prescott?

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Henson, the Prescott sounds like a good candidate for the Talkbasses.com site, send me some pics if you want it added.

And welcome to the family. :)

10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio

This sounds like a Don Corleone line...

11. I was gonna suggest the same thing, but didn't want to be so bold as to try to line up biz for you John.

12. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Feel free anytime Paul, that's what it's there for. :)

13. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

I had a math teacher in high school who used that saying "easy as lard is greasy" all the time. I don't remember any of the math but the saying stuck with me! The teacher also weighed about 300 lbs, seriously, so everytime she said that it really had some "oomphasis" :p

I'll try and get a pic of the Prescott up and running. Me and that bass have been through a lot of stuff together. I treat her really nice now, only opera gigs and good church work. Back in the college days though you guys would shudder at some of the dives I'd take her in.