Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this ibanez worth buying?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fliptrique, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    Ok, help me out guys...

I can buy this puppy:

[​IMG]

.the thing is I`d had to sell my current guitar (or my amp that I`ve left in my parent`s house 500km away and not using it anyway) to buy it.
    I have an average custom built jazz copy with mec pup/s and a buzzing freatboard. I wanted to get it repaired this mont, but I`m considering just selling it and buying that ibanez... any advice?

My jb with mec`s is far to bright for me and I`m looking for a nice, growly bottom with a very low string action. AND the B string is a nice addition.

I know it`s an ibanez sdgr soundgear with active ibanez pickups....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Is any Ibanez worth buying ? No.

3. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    C`mon I really don`t need those "all ibanez/warwick/whatever basses suck" statements, ok?

You don`t dig them, that`s cool, but I`m asking for a little advice about this specific model from guys who had something simillar in their hands.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Let me ask you a question. Did you play it and did it "speak" to you? If you like it and if it feels and sounds good to you then I would say its a good deal.

I am a confirmed Fender player. However I have played some awesome Ibanez basses over the years. So if you can say yes to the above then I would go for it. Our opinions shouldn't mean anything if you like it. :)

Dan

BTW, that is one cool looking weapon.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    In answer to your question, the answer is yes -- Ibanez makes some fine instruments.

Some are clearly better than others, but by and large they are a reputable manufacturer making good quality products.

I owned an entry-level five-string by them for a few years that I was very happy with.

That being said, you won't really know if this is the instrument for you until you play it.

6. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I'm a bit biased because I like soundgears.

I would play it first though if you haven't played soundgears before.

The main complaint with Ibanez 5 strings are the string spacing. It it a bit tight.

That's a higher end soundgear and it looks like it's one of the first SRs that came out in 87.

7. do you play in a band? if not, keep in mind that what seems "too bright" now may be just right in a band setting.

8. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    thanks guys, I`ll go and see it next week...

9. Like everyone else said, play it. I honestly love Soundgears and some other Ibanez models (the higher end models, anyway). The string spacing does not bother me one bit on SGs. Just see what you like. Good luck! It looks like a beautiful bass. I have never seen one quite like it before.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've never seen an SR with a slanted J pup in the neck, or Js for that matter. Personally, I really like the way it looks. But that's me.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've played one of those and really liked it. The only reason I did not buy it is because it had this metalflake red finish.

That's one of the earlier soundgears, from before they had a zillion different models. That one is better than the average.

How much are they asking?

12. It could be right for you. I really don't like Soundgears, but that doesn't mean you won't.

It DOES look sweet.

BTW: If you are curious, I like the B on a MTD Kingston (for example) better, and the feel of the Kingston is right for me. But maybe not for you.

As with any instrument: You never know until you play it. Except if it is a Rogue. :D

13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    .i guess it`ll be around 375 in us $ if i`m not mistaken with the currency exchange ratio.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then I'd say that's a good price. I'd go for it. But that's me.

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, that's a pretty sweet looking soundgear. never seen a bridge like that on one before. i say go for it.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes, it is. It might sound to bright, but in a band setting it could be just right. i know guys that have, when played alone, VERY overly BRIGHT tone, but in a band setting, it's just growly and cuts.

Even duck dunn THOUGHT he had to much highs, turns out, it rounded out the tone for him.

17. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Ibanez makes very solid basses. Nothing fancy, just very solid.

18. I second that.

19. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    My first bass was an Ibanez Ex series 4-string, and I loved that bass! Loved the tone! Great for rock, country and blues!
    I just wish I still had that bass

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    They were asking ~$450 for the one I passed. For $375 I'd have definitely bought it.