1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this idea being used already (hope so)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Jul 26, 2012.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I was messing around with some eq settings the other day (geb-7 pedal) into my crazy AMPRO tube frankenstein thingie and had a thought about what i'd really like to hear. At best, i fiddle with VERY basic electronic stuff- cable repairs, adding or replacing input or output connectors, building speakers, etc- so i'd never be at a level to make this happen on my own. But i was wondering about an amp that gives the tooby goodness overdrive ONLY above, guessing, 150hz or so. the growling is great, if i want to rock out 1/4 and 1/2 notes, but pure mud going much faster. i know i can bi-amp, driving the mids and highs only, but is there already an amp around that does this "split" overdrive/clean through a single output already? If not, why? is it a "better on paper" concept that doesn't really change much? does it create an issue my inferior technical knowledge doesn't understand? Is it a STOOPIT idea?

2. vkiing

vkiing

Feb 27, 2011
    Rotterdam
    I'd buy that

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's a great idea, but I don't know to make it work with a single amp. The overdrive comes from pushing it past it's clean limits, the lower the frequency - the more power demand, so I don't see how you could.

A 2way cab with woofers passed low that can play loud and clean and a guitar speaker carrying the mids and highs sounds really nice even without the biamped 2 amp setup, just a bass amp driving it, BUT.....the grit is still cone cry from the guitar speaker and not distortion from the amp. If you turn the amp up high enough to distort, it's still going to distort the whole signal.

If you figure it out, let me know. I'd like one.:)

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    What sort of preamp is the amp using? If its a Fender stack, you are likely just eqing back in the mid the tone stack scoops out, and liking the more genuine sound of your bass, plus drive. Amps that don't use that tone stack would be the ones to look for.

5. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    You can do similar with amps that have a tube and solid-state channel that you can combine. Crank up the tube gain but roll off the lows with the EQ, mix it with clean solid-state channel where you can optionally roll off the upper mids and highs. GB ShuttleMax, Peavey T-Max and MAX preamp off the top of my head.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh, and you gotta throw up another pic of that beautiful Ampro....just because.;)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I try to do that with my Tmax, but you're still limited to the 1 eq. I usually just leave it on the tube channel and tweak the pre and post gains and eq to taste. On mine, the SS pre doesn't have the topend the tube pre does, so, too much of it can make the sound too dark. Personal taste/subjective tone thing there.

8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Ah that's right. MAX pre has seperate EQ's as does the ShuttleMAx.

9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    So this isn't an existing thing, necessarily? about the amp: it's a single-ended all tube 20ish watter (1-12ax7, 2-6v6gt, 1 5y3gt) with no tone or volume control, just one input and output, so the "pre" in the setup is basically my pedal with the 12ax7 inside the amp. what i was thinking was: splitting the single input right away inside the amp, into the two different paths, one being lows, the other being the mid/high. much like a stereo preamp that is really just a "y" of a mono signal, but with seperate controls for each of the two. then marrying the signals together before the power section. i already stated my very limited knowlwdge of this stuff, but it seems to me this could be done. affordably? dunno. worth the effort? maybe. but hey it's just an afterthought anyway. maybe i could just use better gear.

10. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  11. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    input -> crossover -> two preamp / eq stages -> combine -> power amp -> output

Never seen it.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Anderton developed the multiband fuzz I think back in the '70s. You can find bass pedals based on it.
    http://www.bassefx.com/collections/iron-ether-1/products/qf2-analog-multiband-distortion-for-bass

It is probably more of an effect of multiband compression than having distortion on different frequencies.

Doing multi-band anything is easy with DAW software. Including trying two or more different modeled amps at different frequency bands. If you find something you like with modeling you can always search out hardware to do the same.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    So something like a built in tubescreamer or something that only affected above a certain frequency, say 200hz or something? A tech should be able to do that and make it work so long as you didn't exceed the poweramps clean abilities. Once you get to power tube overdrive, it's going to affect the whole signal again.

14. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    OH SH**! do i need to get with a designer and the patent office ASAP?:eek: *edit:delete, edit:delete*

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The rig in question...

84F2281A-orig.

16. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The Ashdown James Lomenzo Hypedrive does that in a pedal.

17. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^^How DO you guys do that?!?

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Whatever you want to do man, I would do in external control boxes. That thing is a piece of art and I wouldn't want to molest it. If ya just have to add a knob or something...do it on the back please.:D

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There's your answer from a true blue amp tech.

You have to host your photos at an external site. I use photobucket, it's free. Then they have image codes you can copy and paste in the post and the picture appears like that.

PM me if you're having problems getting it to work. It took me forever to figure it out too, but once you do, it really couldn't be any simpler.

20. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Hahaha, that is AWESOME!