1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this inappropriate?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fr0me0, May 5, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    So I got my hair cut yesterday buy a guy who has a band. Its a local band nothing big but they are prety much ready to play shows minus their bass player. He was a bellyaching about him while were were chatting and he knows that I play bass. So he has my number and he said he was going to give the guy another month to shape up and if it wasn't happeneing he'd give me a call. He gave me a CD that was recorded with a previous bassplayer with 8 songs on it and they aren't really rocket science or anything. Its just riff rock.

I've got his email address and I was thinking of learning all the songs recording them and sending him a mp3 with all the basslines and just a quick note suggesting he give me a tryout now rather than wait it out a month (he said he wanted to be playing shows ASAP) and I think with me in the band (the rest of the band minus the bassplayer is already really tight) we could be playing shows in under a month rather than them wasting anotehr month on this bassplayer.

think i'd be stepping on anyones toes? I'd be polite about it.

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I might be a tad more subtle. Maybe send him an e-mail letting him know that you listened to the songs and liked them, enough so that you learned the bass lines to play along. That way, he knows you are interested in the band and can handle the music.

If the other members of the band like the current bassist, and perceive that you took an active role in trying to get him out, your efforts may work against you. Let them decide to kick him out on their own and don't get involved.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    do it.... if you want in and he's on his way out.

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd just drop him an email saying:

"Hey man, I've been jamming along with the CD you gave me. Cool stuff. If you ever want to get together and do something, let me know."

Lets him know you're into the idea, and ready. Put the ball in his/their court and see if they want to play ball.

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    +1. You don't want to be seen as "the girl who made Tommy and Betty break up so she could get with Tommy." Yeah, only in a musical sense... :D

Just let them know that you're onboard if they want you. My gut says that they'll wait a week or two, not a month. After all, aren't we all impatient to play once we get that group together? They'll axe the old guy soon and give you a call. Just keep in touch with them and let them know you're still interested.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Dkerwood: It seems Tommy has already stepped out on Betty and he's given fr0me0 the eye... I still say learn the material and let Tommy know he's ready and willing to do all those things Betty used to do in ways Tommy's never known :smug:

7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Wow...

You make this whole thing seem so... dirty.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Leave it to James to put it in terms we all can understand! :bassist:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If the bassist can't cut it, he can't cut it. He's holding down the band from possibly going places, you/they have every right to get that bassist out, and put in a good bassist, ASAP. And they are the ones who have to drop the bad news, not you. You are stepping on some toes, but toes that need stepping on.

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    +1. Keeps your karma nice-n-shiny.

Cherie

11. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Mind it well, because, as they say, it will come back around.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do it. Why do you think he gave you the CD?

13. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    First i'll have to agree with the "keeping your karma clean"-thing. Let your persona and playing do the talking! Remember that you'll meet the same persons going down as you'll do going up. And it seems that the bandleader is trying to do the right thing by letting the current bassplayer have a chance. If you come on board and they have issues with your playing after a while, you would want the same curtisy ( not spelled right i know).
    And secondly and this is funny imo: It makes you wonder if one of the TB'er here dissing the current bassplayer by saying " step on him and push your way on" might actually BE the current bassplayer? Maybe it's your bandleader trying to find a replacement for you?:eyebrow: Have that in mind when you give advice
    Keep rockin' your way to better gigs:bassist:

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The other guy had his chance. If you can do the job then do it.

Instead of asking him if you can come by to jam I suggest saying "How's next Friday?" You set the date, and take control. Initiative and drive go a long way.

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    So go set up a rehearsal already!

16. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Bingo.

17. How was the haircut?

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've never bought into this Karma thing. How do you know that this guy getting this gig isn't the other guy's bad karma?

19. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think the term "butt-rocker" took on a whole new meaning....:D

Just playing with ya. If I were you, I'd go ahead and take the initiative to set up a rehearsal with these guys. What's the harm? They're thinking about ditching this guy and you're coming in to replace him. Simple as that. If the guy has a problem with it, oh well. You're not there to take sides or anything, just play your bass. :bassist:

Good luck to you,
    AuG

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Sure you'll be stepping on toes. So what? It's HIS gig to loose.

Just keep one thing in mind, you may not be the only bass player in the barber shop and if YOU get slack...