Is This Justified?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danqi, Jun 10, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Check this out:
    -I have not been playing for very long.
    -I have not played many basses in my life. There are some popular brands I have never played.
    -I don't know anything about amps.
    -I have very few experience with strings.
    -I am not in a band, and have never been (but probably soon will be).
    -I suck.
    -I am saving money in order to be able to start studying next year.
    -I have absolutely no need whatsoever for a new bass.

YET, I am so close to buying an Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray 5. When I first consciously heard one in the Flea instructional video I fell in love with the tone. I have, of course, tried them out since then. I have also played the OLPs but they're just not doing it for me.
    I want to get it in one of these colors:

Do you think there is ANY way to justify such a purchase?:confused: :( :confused: :rolleyes:
  2. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Justify a new bass?

When we get through with you, you'll wonder how you ever lived without a closet full of high-dollar basses. :D

But seriously...

If your current bass doesn't play or sound like you want it to, that's all the justification you need.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    If you have the money and its what you want then its justified.
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Dam Straight!;) :D :cool:
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...and if you're funky carnivore, you need a new bass every time your strings "die."
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    "justify it"? that's ridiculous. get what you want.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As someone who was recently asked to "justify" my current arsenal... by a fellow (kind of ) TBer...

Please. You want it, you think you'll use it, if you can afford it, do it. Bear in mind, that Flea tone you heard... that's more about him than the bass;)
  8. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nothing exceeds like excess.
  9. Justify buying a new bass- actually a meaningless phrase.

This should be phrased as:

If I just buy a new bass

- then it's done!!
  10. If it makes you want to practice more it is justified.
    If you think it is going to make you sound like Flea it is not.

TB is the wrong place to ask this kind of question.
  11. Can a mother NOT pick up her crying baby?

Mike J.
  12. danqi

May 21, 2001
    That's great.
    Actually, that's just what I wanted to hear.

:D Somehow I knew you were going to say that.;)

So what do you think of those two color options?
    BTW, what does abalone mean? It is an option for the pickguard color and looks just like black on the pictures. My dictonary does not list it.
  13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man! you can always justify new bass gear!!!
    if i see it more than once and i like it that is all the justifacation i need!!!!
    dude i am trying to catch up to funky!

14. If you can afford it and want to then do it.

Abalone is a flecktop with a pearly finish that is sorta shiney.
  15. Abalone is used, among other things on the handles of pocket knives. It resembles mother of pearl in a way. I'm not 100% sure, but, I think it comes in a few different colors. It's nice looking.

Mike J.

16. Justify??? Bah - just do it?? s for colour - which one can you get the quickest???;)
  17. I never REALLY advanced 'til I got my Warwick STreamer.

At least that's what I tell my wife. Especially when I want something else. :D :D :D (Like that $2000 Roland piano I bought---incredible! I had to use the "it's good for the kids" argument also to swing that one.)

It is absolutely true that most people really improve when they upgrade, for whatever reason. (Hint: it's practice) Of course, some cheap instruments get in your way.

Get it. Life's too short
  18. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

These are really great instruments. You would do well with them. I agree that a good instrument is inspiring and makes you want to practice and play better.

One caveat though, since you are new to this, you will find your taste and style will change as you develop. So you may find that this instrument may not suite you in the coming months. What typically happens is that you sell to fund the purchase of another instrument. If you buy a new instrument, you will likely experience a loss of about 30% at resale time. If you buy used, you will likely loose no more than 10%, or may even profit. But don't think that you should buy an instrument that doesn't suite you because it is a bargain. That is an even worse mistake. Buy the best instrument you can with the funds you have and for the best price you can get.
  19. I started learning guitar about a year ago I asked a similar question on a guitar forum about getting a high-end guitar and many people were arguing against it saying that it was a waste. After a year I can tell you it was the best move I could have done because I can't put her down. So if the instrument is going to stimulate your practice and you can afford it go ahead. We live only once so we better enjoy it! Just don't forget that having Flea bass won't give you Flea tone...

This forum, and the bass community is really cool. I'm just about to get my first bass and it is terrific to see such a friendly brotherhood :D
  20. Thats great! too bad the wife doesn't agree with me.:rolleyes: :(

You want it, you can afford it, don't think about it, just buy it.