1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this Korean Squier P-Bass body made of plywood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zombie Zonkey, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Zombie Zonkey

Zombie Zonkey

Nov 3, 2017

Just picked up this bass, it needed a little work but it's coming together nicely. I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm that this body is plywood... it sure looks that way. It looks like you can see the layers of ply in the electronics cavity, and the chip on the edge of the cavity seems like it's got layers of grain going in different directions. I got a great deal on it and it's super light, but I might see if I can flip it for a little more money now that I've got the neck straightened out and replaced a missing bridge saddle.

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Alembic Epic-1.JPG Sure looks like it, doesn't it? Not all that uncommon for less expensive instruments, actually. But, if it's any consolation, the terms "laminate", or "hippy sandwich", are just a polite way to describe a very expensive "plywood" bass or guitar. Like my Alembic...;)

3. Zombie Zonkey

Zombie Zonkey

Nov 3, 2017
    Yeah, I hear you... but this ain't no Alembic! It sounds good though so I'm going to give it a chance, it's light and it looks good too so it's just a matter of getting the action dialed in and seeing how it plays. Will be test driving at a jam session next weekend.

4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It could be, but highly unlikely due to the weight factor of plywood and the wear it puts on saws and sanders to shape the body. Most bodies used softer wood. If your bass is under 9lb it likely has about 3 to 7 posts glued together to form the body. But if it weighs over 12 lbs it could be plywood.

5. Zombie Zonkey

Zombie Zonkey

Nov 3, 2017
    Did you check out the pictures? You can see lines in the cavity that look like plywood, and there's a chip missing that looks like it's got two thin layers with the grain going in different directions. Take a look and let me know what you think. (It's not very heavy, by the way, but I've read that many Korean Squiers from the late '80s - early '90s were plywood.)

6. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I had a Korean squier tele. It had a veneer top and back with a multi piece body between. I would imagine that your body is similar.

7. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    This was a late 90s squier.

8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Isn't that some marvelous red paint?

Welcome to the world of painted basses.
    Where the underlying wood does not matter.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    SherpaKahn, grrg63, TrustRod and 2 others like this.
  9. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    That definitely has the appearance of a plywood body. I would bet it is.

10. Sure looked like plywood when I zoomed the image. No matter really. Put her back together and play.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  11. Yes, I had one once!

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... very common for 90's MIK basses to use laminated bodies ... I had a couple pass through my hands, and one in particular (mid '90s MIK P Squier) was one of the lightest Fender/Squier basses I had played to that point ... right at 7 lbs, all dressed in playing condition ... weight is not a good indicator of laminate construction in bass bodies, each hunk of wood (or layers in this case) is unique ... ;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  13. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Yeas, it does look like plywood.

14. Zombie Zonkey

Zombie Zonkey

Nov 3, 2017
    The red paint is great. I think it's Fiesta Red, but it's aged to a darker color (it's brighter under the pickguard). I was just curious about the construction, I don't know if it really affects the sound but I'm sure it affects the resale value to some extent.

15. John Swartz

John Swartz

Apr 9, 2008
    Got one of those red Squiers from the early 90s, likely made in Korea - had a 2Tek bridge installed in it and found the wood was similar to yours (plywood).

John

16. Zombie Zonkey

Zombie Zonkey

Nov 3, 2017
    It may be plywood, but it cleans up nice. Sounds good, and I got the action dialed in even better now. Put on some flatwounds too.

SherpaKahn and kodiakblair like this.