1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

is this lack of censorship these days getting out of hand?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 18, 2012.

1. At least with movies?

A couple weeks ago I went and saw Ted; I could see the reasons it sold out, multiple times. It was a good film.

On the other hand on the drive home I was thinking to myself *SPOILER ALERT HERE: MINOR SPOILER*" it's ok to have Flash Gordon and a Teddy bear doing coke and regular bong hits throughout the movie going on but what can we honestly say for the whole system of law?"

(yea, i know it wasn't that big, but for the people who want to keep this film a surprize when they see it........)

But really, I mean, isn't it kind of "time" for hollywood to look at themselves in the mirror? What can be said for a law system that lets it's media promote clear violations, prettymuch thoroughly rubbing the influence of the "forbidden/taboo" in everyone's face, and then how can people get penalized for acting out what was portrayed to them? I'm not really pro-censorship as much as I believe the saying "monkey see monkey do". It's not really as big a deal in video games (because I feel like the player is acting through the protagonist's character to carry out the desired action. That being said I'm kind of sick of hearing **** every other minute I play one as well) as it is in movies/TV.

Lately it seems like we've made just about anything except from ****ing on screen and saying **** in television (you know which four letter word that is) tolerable.

Do you think that this lack of censorship has opened the floodgates for some of the current events that have happened today? (bathsalt abuse, spree killings, etc) or do you just think that it's all random?

Because I'm starting to believe people will follow what they see on their screens.

2. So many films over the past few decades are about things which break the law. Without that aspect of fantasy, many films would be pretty dull.

If people are acting on it, it is their fault, they should be able to term the difference between fantasy and reality.

Id also suggest that stoner films don't make stoners, stoners make and watch stoner films :p

3. idk man I go back to watching scarface and there's some **** in movies today that would make scarface blush.

I feel like the rating system is just different. We've pushed the limits so far on films/gaming that things M rated ten years ago feel like T and our M rating is probably like an AO to people ten years ago.

And cursing was practically an artform years ago, now it's just spammage of the English language.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    We've fetishized violence because we don't physically fight anymore.[soldiers excluded for the most part]
    And our puritan background is still holding on , with a disproportional amount of violence to sex]

5. I think its just the evolution I'd the beast. I know what you are saying about the ratings seeming different, but when I actually considered it, it seems different because there are fewer 18 rated films here these days. And even though comparable subject matter may be down rated, its not got the edge that older, 18 rated films had.

With some things the added realism of modern techniques probably make things seem worse though.

(Our system is listed by age mainly, 18, 15, 12A, PG, U. 12A is 12 or over, or with an adult, PG is parental guidance (don't see so often now) and U is Universal)

6. I can agree with that. There's so much that you can get in trouble for just for busting in the teeth of people that need it these days that you'd rather not worry about the money. Then again that's not really different; I was discouraged from fighting very early.

Uwe Boll's Rampage tho; it's a pretty powerful film, if you analyze it.

7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I think spree killings, drugs in general (not just bathsalts), crime, rape and pillaging, and evil have existed as long as humans have had any form and/or desire of ownership and pleasure in their person. The difference is that we now have 24-hour news outlets, and the Internet, to quickly spread everything that occurs, and the ole' adage of "If it bleeds, it leads" fuels the fires.

How soon after the "Miami Zombie" attack do you think you would have heard/known about it had it occurred 50 years ago? 75 years ago? Turn of the century? Colonial times? What worries me, more so than any level of censorship, or monkey-see-monkey-do, is the sense of entitlement and noisiness the general population seems to have. Or, exhibitionism (e.g. reality TV).

8. I'm not sure, but I think parents now are able to buy tickets for their kids for the R rated movies (where previously they'd have to attend. years ago).... It rarely passes R tho because film makers are concerned about having zero play in theaters. So they ride that gray area plenty.

9. Still. Rampage VS Falling Down/Taxi Driver (this is 80s and 70s, kids). You're going to say this is on the same par as those two?

10. So what the **** is your point?

:bag::D:D

11. It took a bit for the opening post to register.

Too little censorship? Perhaps you mean to describe how certain subject matters are approached in the media but as for actual censorship, it is rarely ever good.

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Censorship has a [new?] different meaning now , in the context of one sided stories, be they with malice of forethought or ignorance.

Angries up the blood for sure, keeps me watching, and then the self loathing afterglow , ick , got me again,
    bastages.

13. There, fixed it for you.

14. TOO MUCH cursing in TV (I don't think much about saying it, but hearing it openly, .......seems a bit unnecessary, and unwarranted). TOO MUCH violence, maybe, in some films (it hasn't gotten unbearable, just blatant). TOO MUCH focus on drug use. You don't show people how the business of meth works and then expect people to say "ok, so the show's over, don't look behind the curtain" if you want to discourage drug use.

Watching "Hobo with a Shotgun" brought up an excellent point. The youth is being turned on to things that we've been seeing/turning the intensity up on for years, in their beginning years. I just feel it's getting extreme, and it's not going to be far off til we reach Mike Judge's portrayal of society in Idiocracy.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    There's some irony in the fact that the OP is concerned about too little censorship, yet uses three foul words in his confusing opening post......that all got censored.

16. I censor myself (literally asterisking my own posts) :D.

Once again, I didnt' say I was that worried about profanity (saying it), I could just do without hearing so much of it.

This whole violence thing...it's like one person pushes another to the limit, and then when that person finally snaps, they see how much it takes to put them down, and others see how much it takes, and the cycle starts rolling.

17. Frankly, I think shows like Judge Judy, Doctor Phil, Jerry Springer, and reality TV do more damage than any of that stuff. But I digress; this is all a matter of subject and portrayal, not censorship. Censorship would be all that violence, sex and cursing just covered up with well placed mosaic blocks and obnoxious beeps.

18. Or (god forbid) actually cutting these things out and replacing them with some actual subject matter?

I mean, reality just seems amped when cameras are put in front of people.

19. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    What did you think the movie "Ted" was going to be about? I could tell by the trailer. I made a decision not to support that with my money. What decision did you make? Who is responsible for the decision you made to buy a ticket to that movie? Do you need a nanny to protect you from yourself? I don't. Don't tell politicians to put a nanny in charge of my life because you can't run yours.

20. I figured it was going to be a legit plotless bong-hitting story of Mark Wahlberg and a Teddy bear doing a stupid rendition of a family guy episode with all the wrong characters.
    For the most part it was.

I'm just saying, it seems like the law system is made of bull**** when they illegalize something as trivial as pot and wave their finger "no" at you, while they allow hollywood to shove in a dozen scenes of someone smoking a bong in a film so you're driven to break the law anyways.

if this stuff was legal, I'd see it as fair play. But i just see it as a low blow to everyone because it's like "DON'T PUSH THE SHINY RED BUTTON! DON'T DO IT! DON'T EVER ****ING DO IT!". Honestly, what do you think would happen?