Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    If I came across a couple of exercises in a book or movie and I shared them with fellow bassplayers, would I get in trouble in any way? please don't say yes just so you can see the exercises.
  2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    it shouldn't be... Is mel bay going to hunt you down for teaching someone an exercise that someone showed him?:D
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Physical copies are not legal for selling etc. but you can pass on the knowledge, it probably wasn't original in that book too.
  4. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Untill you find out I would suggest you stop reading, wrighting, doing any sort of math... and just about anything other information learned from a book and given to groops of people.... i mean ... you might get sued or something... infact you should warn everyone whom has a quote accompanying their post here on talkbass to immediatly take it off and get a lawyer...

ahhhh... well now that ive got all that out of my system... and im not tryin to be mean... but... i think you might be in the clear should you choose to give out that information.
  5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I just wanted to make sure it was ok, because the whole file sharing thing has left me unsure about sharing things like that.
  6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Hey, dont worry about it! It's perfectly legal - in fact the government positivley encourage it! Do what you want!!! Yaaay!!!!

(Howard K may or may not know what hels talking about at any given time and accepts no responsability for misinformation given on any topic.
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Once you've fitted them into your practise routine, then tell us what you do to warm up, improve your dexterity, etc.

If you start scanning chunks of material and end up posting the whole book on the web, that would be copyright infringement. On the other hand, if you describe what you've learnt, then you're clear.

If that wasn't the case, there would be very little we could talk about! Anyway, as has been mentioned, you'll probably find that most exercises can be found in more than one source - even if the author made them up, somebody else has probably also come up with the same set of patterns.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just don't make physical copies of the book, tape, or MP3 and you'll be fine . . .
  9. I think Lars will be in court tomorrow to stop you!
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Whore, i'm mean, Thor is correct. I second. :D
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

No, I second this time! ;)

Your library, whether college or town, has a 'fair use' policy on copyrighted materials and their use. Many people use libraries to research topics of interest to them. Sharing that information with others is not illegal. It is proper, however, to cite your sources.

This allows the person(s) you disseminated the information to to verify its accuracy, or, even buy the book or material if interested.

This does not allow you to publish the work in its entirety on the web for public access, or for personal gain.

Sharing your interpretation, criticism, or discussion of published work is perfectly acceptable. And legal.

Discussion of exercises such as the ones in ' Blah Blah' by Geek Nerd does not constitute a copyright infringement. It does if you don't give the person you believe to be the owner of the material credit for whatever portion of the material may be theirs.

12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Your Honor, we now rest.....

I was in US District Court this morning watching the San Antonio Symphony management trying to strip the rights from the Symphony musicians buy trying to get the collective bargaining agreement rejected! :( I'm burnt out with the legal system right now.
  13. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    I expected better from a thread titled "is this legal?"
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well in that case no one wants you to share.;)

Seriously though, most the time, if you have to ask the answer is no. Fortunately this time its yes.

15. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I swear, if I knew how to close a thread I would. It seems people have missed the fact that I already posted the material.
  16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member