Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Aug 17, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Is this a real USA P bass?

I'm new to this, but I noticed :No string through body, and the truss rod adjustment is on the headstock , just like my MIM P bass.
    This seller is about 30 mins away from me. If I go look at it, what should I look for to authenticate its a MIA ?
    USA P bass?

2. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'd be skeptical, but thats ust me.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmm, no serial number visable?! That would be the first thing I'd check. Secondly, it would be the bridge. If it ain't string through, tell homeboy he got taken if he thinks it's an American P!!

4. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY

Get the serial number and verify all the details with Fender. You can call them and find out. But I wouldnt do it based on what you already idenitfied.

5. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    and warn the guys who try to buy the bass.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Looks like a Highway 1 to me....

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0111300

Same headstock trussrod adjustment.

Same NON-THRU-BODY bridge.

Same satin blonde finish.

So, basically, it's exactly what the guy says it is. A US made Fender.

The only ridiculous thing is the $75 shipping. But, if you can pick it up in person, that's not exactly a problem, is it?

7. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    He should have said so, instead of trying to rip people off.

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    from the listing: <i>This is an American Made Bass. It is much higher quality than the ones made in Mexico. This is a great bass for a beginner or advanced musician.</i>

How is the seller trying to rip people off?

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I agree....looks like a highway 1

the 75 clams for UPS ground is a rip-off..but, like bassmonkeee said...if it's local, no worries there.

10. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The highway basses are composed of mexican parts that are assembled in the U.S. He should have said it was a highway somewhere in his artical so people don't get mislead into buying something they think is a MIA fender P.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a direct quote from the Fender website:

"The Fender Highway 1 Precision Bass is an American made instrument, borrowing heavily from the successful formula of the Highway 1 Series guitars."

So, there is nothing wrong with his wording. Period. Just because you made an assumption doesn't make him wrong, or deceitful.

12. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    All i'm saying is he should have stated it was a Highway P.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, you were saying he was trying to rip people off.

Maybe he doesn't know it's a Highway PBass. If that's the case, it doesn't make his current description any less correct. Could it be more accurate? Sure. But, that doesn't make him wrong.

Show me 100 eBay auctions, and I'll show you 95 that could have more, or better, information.

14. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Well sorry, I've had bad expierence with ebay and misrepresented items.

15. Caveat emptor. If you don't trust the seller, don't buy it. His pics were decent and his description was accurate. After all, you were able to figure out exactly what he was selling, right?

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My question would be, where is the serial number?

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like a Highway indeed. I think his auction is smart. He gives just enough information to not be considered trying to rip people off/decietful, yet the way he says it, might make him an extra buck.

I give props to him, hes probably done this before.

Anyay, if it stays below $500, its a good bass for that price. I love that color as well. But i personally would pay only around $400-$450.

18. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Rip off how, current bid is like only $100.... throw in shipping, & that's still not a bad deal... Consider a new SX costs probably that much...

Again,, at that price, its worth the risk.

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, according to his feedback, he's never sold anything that anyone bothered to leave feedback for. So, it's probably a safe bet that he's never sold anything on eBay before.

Did anyone actually bother to email him, and say, "Hey, maybe you should mention that's a Highway 1 bass?"

Do you really think the guy is trying to give as little information as possible to dupe someone for a couple of extra bucks? Did it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, he only knows it's an American made Fender, and nothing more?

Internet/eBay conspiracy theories crack me up.

Oh, and if you are planning to email him, be nice--the last thing he bought was parts for a gun. :D

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Haha