Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Sep 25, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm no pro, but if you look at the super closeup of that shot on the bay it looks a little oddish.... but take that with a grain of salt...or even less!
  3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    No, not buying. Just bought a '03 pbass to keep my Ric company. Yeah, the closeup on Ebay looks fishy.......
  4. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    The 76 looks odd to me but the rest of it looks okay.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Zero feedback seller? No thanks!
  6. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, it should be S6 instead of 76.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looks legit to me. 4string4ever, I believe there was no S6, they started that scheme in 1977. The 76 was commonly larger than the rest, I remember this same exact scenario came up on the Dudepit a couple months ago. We decided it was legit.

But don't quote me, and don't buy it based on what I said.
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    S6 and 76 are both acceptable. S is the prefix for the 70s.
  9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, according to This link, "76" or "S6" are cool, per the post above, but the pic looks hacked to me. The 76 looks way different than the rest... especially with a 0 feedback seller. IMHO.
  10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I stand corrected, but I agree that the pic still looks hacked. By the way, was there also visible the dark wood at the base of the headstock in '76?
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr- This pic's bigger, if you're trying to see if it's photoshopped or not it should work better.

76 shouldn't be bigger than the rest of the serial number, right? I'm just guessing but I just checked some pics of Jazz Basses from around then and it seems like the serial numbers have a uniform size. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, however.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I remember something about using the same decal for every bass with the 76 on it, and just typing new serial numbers on, so the production number didn't quite match the year in font.

Gotta love 70's technology.
  13. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    What specifically looks so wrong about the pic? I can't stand when people say "This is Photoshopped for sure!" and then never explain how. I use Photoshop for a living, and people are usually dead wrong about what's been modified and what hasn't been, so I'm curious.

Of course, buying from a seller with no feedback is never a really good idea anyway.
  14. I agree with Embellisher. This guys a member for over a year and has no feedback. I'd play safe and leave alone !!

Good Luck...
  15. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    They think that the number 76 has been photochopped onto the begining of the serial number, because it's a different size than the rest of the serial number (and noticeably so).

Personally, I think the explanation about 70s technology makes sense. Besides, anyone who can afford photoshop would surely be able to make the serial number look more uniform. :smug:
  16. Looks good to me.

As mentioned earlier, with a zero feedback I'd pass.
  17. I think its photoshoped, im a photoshop wiz, my friend whos a photoshop wiz says its real and if it was fake the faker did one hell of a job to make it look real. But i say its fake
  18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004