1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this little angle in the strings an issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by samurai1993, Aug 8, 2012.

1. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    I made my Jazz Bass get a new nut since the plastic one broke, taking she to a local luthier that made one out of bronze.
    While checking the bass at home I note that a string isn't sitting well, an slips out of the nut, so I'm going to talk with him to make some adjustments.

The thing that I noticed is that he made the spacing a little narrower than in a regular Jazz Bass, so the strings (E and A), instead of going almost straight to the nut, as in this pic

2692391743_b9620ec2fe_z.

They do a little angle. It doesn't bogus me cosmetically, and I don't feel any difference on my fretting hand nor my plucking one, but would it mean any problems to the strings?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It shouldn't be an issue. Brass is definitely strong enough and wont break from a small amount of force pushing outward on the nut.

3. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    The spacing should be fine. Make sure that your tech fixes the nut slot depth problem for free though. That shouldn't be happening with a professionally cut nut.

4. If the string does not sit deep enough in the nut slot to prevent it from jumping out during playing then you can't lower the slot, if the string clearance is already at a low position over the first fret. You must cut a new nut if this is the case. You could shim under the nut to raise it which would allow you to deepen the slot. I would go for a new nut.
    Rocky

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The draw angle thru the nut is not a big deal but the downward break (towards the tuner post) is mission-critical. A sideview shot would be nice.

Riis

6. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Sure, the guy is great, he already told me to take the bass to him to correct the issue

That one is ok :p