1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this loud enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FrankOg, Sep 1, 2008.

1. FrankOg

FrankOg

Aug 22, 2008
    Hey I was wondering your thoughts on if this would be enough power for playing in my youth band.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-BA112-50W-Single-12-Combo?sku=481776
    Just to let you know I've been thinking i needed like 200w but everyone keeps telling me 50 is fine just to let you know our guitar player is using a 30w fender combo and it's blaring so we're not playing at like ear-splitting levels.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Couple of things:

1) "Loud enough" is relative. Are you playing to five people in a coffeehouse or are you playing to 500 people in a big hall?

2) High frequencies (guitars) only need a small amount of wattage to get "loud". Low frequencies typically need anywhere from 3x to 10x as much wattage to get "equally loud". IOW whoever told you 50W was enough, they were a guitarist, not a bassist.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's a really nice amp, I have one and use it as a practice amp, or with unplugged acoustic guitars. If there are drums, or electric guitars involved, you want much more power, and more speakers.

5. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I would at least hit up the BA115 if not the BA300 or BA600 if I were to use one in a live band setting...

remember... you can always turn the volume knob down and have little effect on the tone. (especially with solid state)

6. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Well... I have the exact same combo and I have played with a very loud drummer and 2 guitar players and I always hear myself it also depends in the bass you are playing I use a Fender P-Bass and it sounds better than my old Ibanez GSR-200, the 5 position switch is also very handy I found it a very versatile combo also the line out its a plus in fact 2 days ago I played with PA setup and it was a pretty nice preamp and monitor

7. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    IMHO...

Go w/200watts (300 watts is my limit)....

I played w/my 600 watt Walter Woods and the guitar player was using a 15 watt Fender Blues Jr. and I was up around 1:00 on the Master Volume. Low frequencies require more power.... You need to match the kick and snare more than wattage witha guitarist... IME

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    As someone who does a lot of gigs with a 25w amp, the one thing you have to remember is that I almost always have a good PA to run the bass through. If I didn't, there's no way I could do anything but the smallest of small gigs with it. For small to medium gigs with no PA, you're better off getting a higher wattage amp. If you're not real loud, you could probably get away with 100w. Also, the BA112 is decent but the BA115 sounds bigger. The bigger cab + the extra wattage helps a lot. I just got back from GC and I played one there, and it sounded really good for a small combo. I'd get one if I needed an inexpensive amp with some butt on it.

9. FrankOg

FrankOg

Aug 22, 2008
    I have pa support and a sound engineer it's actually pretty well run except I have no monitor when i play and im turned up monstorously loud sometimes and extremly low sometimes.

10. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    You guys should do a soundcheck and tell the enginer to write the band "settings" so everytime is the same :meh: