Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this MIA Fender ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j3b3r, Dec 2, 2004.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I bought a MIA jazzbass fender today. made in 1997.
    But there are things that bother me, There's is no stripe(dark wood) behind the neck and there's routing between control cavity to neck pickup routing. It's kinda ugly when I remove the pickguard.
    I thougt only MIM jazzbass has routing like this.

Is this really a MIA ??

thx ^^

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    only MIM basses have the skunk stripe and the mia jazz i had from 96 had the routing you speak of. in fact both of my new MIAs have routing under the pg and no stripe. skunk stripe is nothing beneficial. why would you want one?

3. my MIA 97 JAzz V is the same way. no stripe, and the funky routing.

4. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    1990's Fender American Standard models were made pretty poorly. I have a 1995 American standard P Bass that I went to have refinished. When the paint was stripped off the body was pretty ugly. I five piece glued together and wood filler filled hunk of crap with poor routing, so shielding yadda yadda.

5. maybe i got lucky. I've been through 22 basses and all i play is my Fender. I've recorded and performed numerous styles of music with it since '97 (nobody else's mitts touched it before i got it) and it's been perfect for each setting. sits perfect in the mix and is a solid workhorse. as a matter of fact, besides a few truss rod adjustments i haven't had to do ANYTHING to it since i purchased it..

6. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Hey thanks ^^

It's kinda really release the tension hahahaha
    so this is real MIA jazz.

I thougt all fender has that skunk stripe, so I felt like been hit by lighting when I realize this at home, especially when I remove the pickguard T_T

thank you all ^^

7. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    My '73 MIA Jazz has no skunk stripe although it's not routed under the pickguard. My 1990 MIJ Jazz Bass Special has the skunk stripe.

8. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    my mia 2000 jazz v has the routing under the p/g and no stripe. the mim version, same year model had the stripe and different hardware.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    A 97 Mia should say "Made in USA" on the headstock, and should be a string through body.

10. All of the above, same here. American Jazzes no longer have a skunk stripe (except the Highway Ones) and most have routing under the pickguard. It's just a more efficient method of routing... too bad, but that's how it is. My Jazz has both, 97 model. As was said, it should say "MADE IN U.S.A." under the Fender logo, and the serial number on the back of the headstock should be N7###### for a 97 (or N8###### for a 98, etc).