1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this mixer any good?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Dec 2, 2000.

  1. I haven't heard anything good or bad about that one. I have a Sansamp bass Driver DI and it works pretty good. I 've also heard good things about the Sansamp Acoustic DI and the Countryman DI.
    Doesn't your Hartke head have a Direct out?
  2. yea, but I want one that I can hook into my computer.. need the XLR plug I think.. *clueless*

  3. what kind of inputs do you have on your sound card? Is it like a soundblaster or something with the 1/8" dia. miniplug? Does it have a dedicated microphone input or anything?
  4. it has only 1/8's a line in and a mic input...

  5. The inputs are your card are High impedance so you'll need a line matching transformer to use the low impedance XLR out on your amp.
    Here's your options.
    1)does your amp have a 1/4" preamp out or a 1/4" direct out? all you would need to use that is an adapter from radioshack to convert the 1/4 in plug to an 1/8 in plug. ($2 only)

    2)To connect theXLR on your amp to your soundcard you'll need an XLR mic cable, a line matching transformer (like Whirlwind little imp costs 20$), and a 1/4 to 1/8 in adapter from radioshack (possibly a headphone extension cable type so you don't have the transformer hanging from the input.)

    What the line transformer does is the opposite of a DI. It converts low impedance to high whereas a DI converts High to Low. Very handy Item back in the day when I used my old combo amp for the PA...Also good for getting an extra mic input out of a small mixer.

    The little mixer I showed you would also work...you would just need a y cable that goes from 1 1/8 in stereo plug to 2 1/4 in mono plugs to be able to use it.

    tip: use the line level input... not the mic input. On those soundcard the mic inputs just add extra noise.
  6. I have the hartke 3500.. it has the DI out for micing the amp.. I have the adapters that make 1/4" to 1/8" and 1/8" to 1/4".. so no need to spend $$ there.. so what I'm trying to do.. should I use a mixer or a DI? I'm mixed up =)

    in #2.. you're saying I'd need a mic cable then that thing which can switch the mic to the 1/4" then I can use the 1/8" adapter to put in my computer? =) it might make sense if that's what you're saying...

  7. Yeah, the line matching transformer isn't as simple as an adapter, though. It not only changes the connector but the signal strength.
  8. Yeah... attach that to the end of the mic cable and then use your 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and you should be golden.
  9. awesome, thanks for everything man!


Share This Page