1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is This Music Video Watchable?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IncX, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Yes it is OK, and it makes me wanna know more about the band

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, it is terrible, you will destroy the band with this

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The video does not do anything for me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    After being bandless for 3 months or so, i am slowly starting to lose interest for playing bass, and instead focused my interests on Skyrim and video editing.

obviously, i am better in Skyrim than video editing, and this is my first (ok, second) attempt in recording a video:

Alto Indio - Math of C (video).mp4 - YouTube

i am sure you will notice the obvious flaws of the video (too dark, sync-ing issues) and yes, i could use more takes (band got tired after 4 takes) and perhaps the band playing along to the recording, but for now, what i wanna know is:

is this video good enough to promote the band?

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not as bad as you suggest. The singer and the drummer are the most interesting to watch, the bassist and other guitarist are just looking down at their instruments and playing along. It looks amateur in an endearing kind of way.

3. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    thanks for the feedback ... i asked some friends and most of them were commenting on the video quality. i guess i cant do anything much about it since im still thinking whether i should sell some of my bass gear to fund a decent video camera.

4. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    I think it is pretty good! I would do more close ups on the pretty singer's face, like very close.. and I would cut to some footage outside of that room for contrast, like maybe do something like have the camera man lay down in a wagon, filming upwards at the singer, or the whole band as they walk through their town, to give kind of a spike lee type effect. Just break the monotony is my only critique. Good job!

5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I liked the sepia-toned video! Hope it was intentional.:D

6. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    those are great ideas, especially with the band walking into the studio! and +1 on the pretty singer's face... i did get close-ups, and i later learned that close ups + low light + toy camera = bad

i also realized i should have started filming them even before they started playing because i could have used the stuff to break out the monotony in the video.

-*-

thanks skychief! ... yes, it was suggested by one of the band members since the colored version had terrible, yellowish lighting... at least the sepia sort of masked the yellow-ness of the whole thing

7. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I think it could be lit a little better, but it's not bad. Better than my band's video!

8. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    maybe if i get enough positive comments i just might end up selling some bass gear to fund a camera lol

the band (except for the guitarist, who is my cousin) did not give any feedback at all. i was starting to think it was so terrible they just did not have the heart to tell me.

i did all of it for free (obviously) lol ... so i couldn't imagine it could be that bad