1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this my amp naturally distorting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wootsticks, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I get this Starlight by Muse tone out of my amp, but only when my Hartke's Bass Attack pedal's Volume, Harmonics, and Mix knobs are turned all the way up. (The Harmonics is the "effect", I guess. o_O) The volume on my bass is also turned all the way up. When I pluck really hard, I get this lead guitar distortion tone, and the softer I pluck, the less harsh the sound. Is this my amp "distorting", and is it bad? It sounds kind of cool.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is probably a combination of the Hartke Pedal distorting and the amp distorting. It's only bad if your speakers are getting damaged- and it's honestly hard to know for sure if your speakers are getting damaged, as distortion by itself is not necessarily damaging. I would say if you are talking about a small combo amp, or a smallish rig, then your odds of causing damage are greater. If you're using a larger and more robust rig, then it is probably able to handle distortion with minimal risk.

3. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    It's a fender rumble 100 1x15, and the Hartke Pedal doesn't sound anything like this distortion.

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I have no experience with the Hartke pedal, but my guess is you are slamming the input of the amp with too much gain. Back the volume on the pedal down to where it's the same volume as the amp with nothing plugged in.

5. Wootsticks

Wootsticks

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I have found a way to set it so that my natural plucking strength is not distorted, and any harder plucking is distorted. I think I'm going to use this sound in the future. It's kind of fun to do fill distorted and then back to non distorted for the regular bass line.