Is this my amps fault?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Yesterday I played in my church's worship band. After the first service (My church has two) I had to switch to a wireless mic because my Ampeg BA115 was apperantly causing the speakers and moniters to hiss so bad that it was distracting the singers. The only thing was that the hiss was still there in the second service, so that makes me wonder. I said that I have to have some treble boost so my B-string doesn't get muddy, and that causes a little more hiss out of my amp. My question is mostly this: is my amp interfering with the other speakers on its electrrical circut? I didn't notice much more hum out of the moniters than is normal for a speaker with power into it with no sound. If I could get this straightened out by this Saturday it would help, since I'm playing on Easter. Thanks.
  2. Help! I really need some input here! I need this solved soon! Any suggestions will help.
  3. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    i don't get the connection between the hiss and changing to a wireless mike. but anyway, a couple of things you might want to try; to get a more defined low-b sound, instead of boosting the treble try setting the selector switch to #2, the bass & the treble flat then boost the mids. putting on new strings help too. i remember the first time i put on DR Hi-beams on my SR885, it made a world of difference. is your amp going direct to the board via the xlr line out? if there is a ground/lift switch for the line out, switch it to "lift". that should help eliminate some of the possible noise sources. you could also tell the sound guy to cut the treble to the monitor send, but that's only if there's a capability to send a different mix to the monitor.