Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this my bass or my amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 24, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I wasnt sure where to post this , since it could be in basses or amps, but ill put it here because more people are in this forum :D

Anyways, i am having a bit of noise issues. I find that when i pluck a string (lets say the G) and then mute it a second later, there is still a bit of a hum coming out of my amp. Then, when i rest my fingers (mute) the E, A, and D strings (which i never hit in the first place) i find the noise goes away and i am left with the barely audible fuzz that always comes out of my amp. I am playing a brand new G&L L2000 tribute directly into a fender 75-watt BXR combo that is at least 8 years old. I'm pretty sure its the amp, but i want to know:

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I find that this occurs when in passive mode as well as active mode. Im pretty sure its the amp, but would like confirmation, especially since if it is the bass im gonna go give the dealer a piece of my mind

Any input is appreciated

Thanks!

2. verbass

verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    Check the ground in the bass , then see if the outlet you plug into is grounded , then have the amp checked .
    if the sound doesn't occur when you use different basses,
    It probably is the bass .
    have it checked out by a tech you trust