1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Neck Gone?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tbone5567, Dec 5, 2018.

1. tbone5567

tbone5567

Jun 26, 2018
    Hello, I bought this bass used, I didn't pay much. Frets 1-12 sound clean however frets 12 and up has some buzzing. If I play normal there is a buzz if I play softer its OK. Any ideas how to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do you mean is the neck gone as in twisted? It's always hard to tell in pictures. Could be the frets. I'm sure a thorough set up is needed. There are a lot of factors that go into fret buzz.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  3. It looks like you have too much relief. That can cause buzzing in the upper register. Try tightening the truss rod.

Old Garage-Bander and tbone5567 like this.
  4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    This, without a doubt! There are plenty of videos on how to do this correctly if you don't have experience doing it.

tbone5567 and Bass Viking like this.
  5. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    the thing needs a set-up first. escalate to repairs as needed.

tbone5567 and 202dy like this.
  6. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Set neck relief increase relief loosen truss rod. Then adjust saddle heights for action. Check for un level frets is those things don't work.

tbone5567 likes this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    From the photos, I don't think you want to add relief, I think you need to reduce relief. That means tightening the rod, not loosening it.

Lownote38, tbone5567 and Slater like this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Normally, pictures are worth a 1000 words but, in this case, some measurement numbers would be priceless.

Check out Jerzy Drozd's Ultimate Setup Guide if you are unfamiliar with the setup process. Read it twice, give your bass a setup, and come back with any questions. You cannot diagnose any issue before giving the bass a proper setup.

tbone5567 likes this.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Needs a standard Set up into the ballpark first before you can really tell what’s going on. Bet ya it’s fine, looks not too bad, but pics are a bit blurry. Looks like too much relief (arc) in the neck. Relief is good if it’s ABOUT the same amount on both sides. Twists in the neck are big trouble, but I can’t see that yours is from the pics.

Basic setup steps: should you want to attempt. But do your research.
    1 Relief: Get a person to help. Loosen the strings a bit, about 1/2 turn. Lay the body on a table and have your friend hold it flat. Put your truss wrench in the nut. Gently push the head down, sighting along the neck until it looks flat. Tighten the nut till snug. Tune it up.

Press E string at the first fret and the fret where the neck and body meet. Measure the gap between the string and fret at the 8th fret. Aim for a little more gap than thickness of a business card. If you need to reduce the gap, tighten it 1/8 or less turn at a time. More gap, loosen 1/8 turn. Always manually flex the neck back when tightening the nut.

2 Action: Then set the string heights about 3/32” 2.5mm. Play it and see where you’re at. Report back.

OR pay someone to do it.

tbone5567 likes this.
  10. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    from the pix it looks like it has the action of a guitarrón. it really needs a set-up -start there.

tbone5567 likes this.
  11. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Buzzing above 12 fret is neck to straight?

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It could be that there's a high fret. Or it could be that there's a low fret. Or it could be that there's a ski jump. Or it could be that the bridge is too low. But one that that it is NOT - it's not a truss rod adjustment. The truss rod has no effect beyond the 12th fret.

There is no such thing as a neck that is TOO straight. Most players, but not all, prefer a little relief in the neck.

13. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Needs a setup, at the very least. From the pics, there is way too much forward bow.

tbone5567 likes this.