Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this nice? (pre-EB MM Sabre)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theodeus, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    1215619216.jpg

Is this a nice price for this bass? I'll trade my Yamaha BB605 and $629 in cash.

It's a '79 (june) and all original, except for a refinish.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Ya,
    Great bass.
    Enjoy.

3. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Cool! =)
    Does anyone have the specs' for this bass?

4. *drools on keyboard and passes out*

Well, I would in a heartbeat provided its "the one"....

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    what 5 posts and no Figjam, yet?

That is a killer bass, that and the Cutlass are two of my favorite models of Pre EB MM's. Great find you have there!

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Sabres are awesome!

7. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Curious, other than the neck pu how does the Sabre differ from a Stingray?

I found a '78 Stingray last year, much more beat up and corroded than the one in your picture, it's become my favorite bass. That's a real nice looking bass, enjoy!

8. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    And gimme those specs'! :smug:

9. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I know someone out there has 'em, or at least a little link! It would make my day!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with everyone else a BB605 and $629 is too good a deal to pass up! Get the that bass, it is a classic!:hyper:

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I don't know how or if the pickups differ, but the bridge pickup on a Sabre is positioned closer to the bridge than a Stingray's. Also, the controls are different. I thought the necks were the same, but I've seen other people say otherwise...haven't played either in a few years.

Marshall

13. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I borrowed this bass today from the guy I'll trade it with, to try it out a bit! Shure is sweeeetah! There's just two cons:

The tuners are very hard to turn, probably poor lubrication after 27 years. Or could there be some other explenation like they're screwed (is that the correct term? :meh: ) to tight?

The second is that the things that muffle the strings at the saddle are missing, but that's no biggie since i wouldn't use them anyway!

So... Is it a definitive trade? (I even managed to drop the price an additional $70!)

14. i would do it...i think Sabres are pretty cool...better than anything EBMM has come out with since imo

15. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have two '79 Sabres right now, and I just sold a '79 and an '80. In the 'bridge only' mode, you can get very close to a Stingray tone.

On two of my Sabres, they've sounded great and strong with both pickups 'on'. On the other two, the 'E' string sounds sort of muffled in 'both on' mode. I've tried lowering the pickup, different strings, etc. but it just seems to be a feature of that bass. Strangely, on the '80 Sabre, some of the pots were incorrect when I got it - and it had the muffled E string. I replaced the pots with the correct ones (direct from Ernie Ball) and it became incredible sounding. Don't know what that means, but there ya go!

These are great basses and they seem to have staged a comeback since the new dual-pickup Stingrays (and Sterlings and Stingray 5's) have come out.

It sounds like you got a great deal!

Here is the '80 Sabre I just sold

[​IMG]

The '79 I sold was Sunburst with maple board.

The necks are pretty much the same as the Stingrays of the same era - and jazz width was an option, too. The body of the Sabres have contours, where the earliest Stingrays didn't.

You can make the mute pads from a black thick mousepad. PM me for the dimensions.