Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this normal for a hanewinckel (neck humps when there is little or no tension)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Is it normal for a bass neck to hump when there is no tension? (like when you take strings off) I've never noticed this on a bass before, but it happens with my newly acquired hanewinckel. The neck seems pretty stable when there is strings on it (i can barely bend it by hand) but it humps when the tension is lost, but it is strait as an arrow when it is tuned to pitch.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't understand what you mean by "neck humps". could you elaborate?

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i meant backbow (that is when fingerboard is arched towards the strings, right?).

BTW, i put this in basses because i don't think there is a way i can correct this. It could be an aspect of the instrument.

edit: correction made..

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I rarely have all of my strings off at once so I can't say I've noticed. My concern would be with how the neck behaves with strings on. Given that you don't seem to have an issue there, I wouldn't sweat it.

5. That's probably normal. When the strings are off, there's no tension to counteract the tension of the truss rod which was probably adjusted to keep the neck straight under tension from the strings. If necks had the strength to stay straight on their own, they wouldn't need truss rods. ( I think that some graphite necks don't have truss rods )

Truss rods are also for adjusting the amount of concaveness of the neck. You do want a little bit.

- Dave

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i agree with dave. on a few of my basses, when i only have one string on that string is pretty fretted out, even tuned up. then again, when you get the other 6 or 7 strings on there, the action is nice. :D

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm not sure how "humped" :) it is exactly, but my experience mirror's JTs. Even taking a couple strings off the neck moves slightly but enough to completely throw off the action, and the remaining strings will buzz if played. With just one string all it does is go "bzzt".

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well i guess i'm releived. i never noticed this on any other basses, probably because i've never had a bass with action this low.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I do believe that is normal.. as long as the neck is straight with the strings on i think you are going to be ok.

Congrats on the new bass

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    It is normal for a bass neck with a truss rod to have significant back-bow when all strings are off the neck. The only time this would not occur is in the case of a grapite neck with no truss rod. They have the proper relief built into the neck design (or at least you hope that they do!). A slight word of caution however. Removing all strings at once can sometimes cause the neck to get slightly out of adjustment. It typically returns (eventually) to the former position but it can affect your set-up (at least temporarily). Unless you plan to dress the fret's or oil the finger board I would recommend changing one string at a time and tuning each new string to pitch before replacing the next.
    jg