1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is This Normal: New Sadowsky Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FirewalZ, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    After a long delay, I just got my first set of Sadowsky Flats, the lights.
    On each string, the wrap is unwound almost all the way to where the silk starts. I have only seen this on my Labella's (which makes sense), however not nearly this extreme.
    Bass-String-E.JPG

shoulderpet likes this.
  2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Iirc, that's pretty much normal on these.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    How far does that start from the ball end?

4. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    The ball end looks fine as far as I can tell, the wrap is solid over the section that breaks over the bridge. I just haven't seen the winding un-done that far down. I have strung it up though and everything seems ok, so maybe false alarm?
    BTW, i'm switching to these from the La Bella 760FL's, I really dig those a lot, the feel and tension. However, they sometimes lack a bit of clarity and are a touch scooped in some of the rooms I play in. Everyone raved about the black labels so I had to give them a try.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    It looks like they made them that way (have yet to get my 1st set of those) so the outer flat winding continues over the tapered down section, all the way to the silks, allowing the flat wrap to be secured by the silks.
    I wouldn't cut them any shorter than the silks to preserve that wrap security.

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    "How far does that start from the ball end?"

++^^

That's the important measurement.

(for some reason, my 'quote' button isn't working...)

7. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Quite normal on the five sets I have/have tested of these. Haven't been a problem so far, my oldest set is coming up on two years.

8. Here's how they look on my bass...
    The grey silk actually comes all the way down to where the main body of the string starts.

[​IMG]

9. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    yep, pretty much just how mine look...I guess it's normal, I just haven't seen it like that before. They sound fine, being brand new flats its simply too early to tell anything though.....it will take a few weeks at least before I know how they sound settled it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Well they dont have the traditional silk, more as if they "melted" the silk into the wrappable part of the string. I like it, it is a bit more durable.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Yeah my Sadowsky flats are like that. While I much prefer strings with no silks, this does not appear to be a construction issue. I think its normal.

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Mine Sadow with different issue. But , Peter from Sadowsky is sending me a replacement.
    TQ to Jason from BSO too.

IMG_20160124_164516up.

13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have an opposite experience with you. My 760FL sound little scoop and thuddy E , otherwise, Sadow flat 40-100 give me a solid focus E and overall better MID present.

Play through Fender Rumble 200 V3 combo, i have lower the BASS and Lo-mid, push the Hi-mid and treble to unscoop it tone. But, i just keep the EQ all flat with the Shadow...... Opps, is Sadow.:roflmao:

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yikes! :confused: Not for me :thumbsdown: