Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Feb 14, 2009.

1. I have 2 questions..

My band just got finished practicing, and I found it harder to be heard. My guitarist is using a Fender FM 100w Halfstack, and he's only on about 2-3, where as I'm using my LH1000 and my SVT-410HE which is 225 watts, and when on 5 or 6, I couldn't hear myself.. Is this normal? Would a second cab help me get that extra volume (I didn't just start thinking about getting one, I've been thinking about it for the last 2-3 weeks.)

And the second question..

I don't know if this question belongs here, but here it goes..

Say you have a tone that fits your bands style of music completely, but you don't like it. But you can get a killer tone that you love, but it doesn't fit your bands style at all.
    What would you do? Would you live with the tone you don't like, or use the tone that you like, but doesn't fit your bands style.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    First question: a second cab would definitely help, but most of the time, if you can't hear yourself, it's an EQ matter, not a volume matter. Just guessing here, but I think that's the problem.

Second question: Obviously it's what works with the band that matters the most. The tone you like but doesn't work with the band is often called "bedroom tone." Works great in your bedroom, but sucks in a band setting. EQ for the band. Always.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    1. Don't worry about comparing volume knob position numbers with your guitarist. Some amps get most of they're maximum volume at less than 1/2 way up and some required turning it much higher. (if your guitarist is cranking his amps bass knob way up past 1/2 way, he's stepping all over your frequency range and you need to corect him)

You may or may not need another cab, but unless turning your volume up higher starts sounding bad, you should be able to turn up more. If your boosting your amps bass tone knobs and lowering the mids, you'll find doing the opposite makes it easier to hear yourself. (although you might not prefer your tone soloed as well)

I think your #2 question is allot more complicated. It involves your personal taste, gear combination, bands requirements and all kinds of other things. I'll tell you lots of us have probably fought this same issue from time to time. I know with most amps, I dont necessarily prefer the same tone I need with certain bands, to be my favorite when playing the bass solo or even playing with other bands. If this is kinda what your experiencing here, your not alone bro.

4. If you aren't using any hearing protection you should start doing so immediately. When you are in a band rehearsal in a typically small space the volume is going to cause your hearing to 'shut down' and you won't be able to hear yourself well. Typically bands start turning up the volume in an effort to hear themselves playing. It becomes a vicious circle - less hearing, more volume, less hearing. If you notice that your ears are ringing for hours after a practice that is a sign to get some hearing protection right away. The ringing will eventually become permanent - known as tinnitus.

If your band doesn't play loudly - unlikely, but possible - use your midrange EQ to make your pitch easier to distinguish in the mix.

Rick B.

5. Well.. I tried turning up the mids, and it helped A BIT, but not much..

How much will the second cab help?
    Also..

I was just wondering if changing a speaker cable would change your tone?
    I originally had a normal speaker cable in, and I had a nice distortion (with a pedal of course), and then I changed it to a speakon, and I had a much cleaner tone. Anyone have any input on this?

6. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    That is because you started bridging the power section, it doubled your output wattage.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    How large a room? Boundary cancellation modes can literally erase your output in small rehearsal spaces.

8. It's a small-medium sized room

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The more cone area you have, the more air you will move, and it can be significant.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021