1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this normal...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by scizro, Oct 8, 2009.

1. scizro

scizro

Oct 8, 2009
    I've purchased a new Amer Fender Jazz and noticed the strings don't line up perfectly under the pickups (notably on the E and G). Is this normal? Most of the press photos on their website show them aligning a bit more symmetrically.

Am I just being pedantic?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Hmm, that's strange. Does it sound ok? Is string to string balance good?

3. scizro

scizro

Oct 8, 2009
    As far as I can tell....haven't checked it with anything too precise though...

I was concerned mostly about the look of if but yeah if this isn't normal..should I return it?

Or is it simply an easy adjustment...

Apologies as I'm a new bassist.

Cheers.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Pretty normal.

With regards to function, pretty meaningless.

Enjoy your new guitar.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, it's normal.

No, it doesn't effect anything due to the way the mag field is distributed in teh area of the strings with that polepiece configuration.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Normal - but if it really bothers you, the saddles should have a series of slots that will allow you to bumb the string over a notch to compensate. Just keep in mind that it will affect your string spacing a little (some people will notice, others maybe not).

And nice bass ya got there.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's normal. Enjoy your bass and don't worry about it. +5 bonus points for using the word "pedantic".

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Totally normal. Fuhgetaboutit.

9. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Some folks get really bent out of shape about this and some companies actually correct this as a result (i.e. Carvin. And my bunny has the strings perfectly centered over the pole pieces).

Does it actually make any difference? The real answer is: El Zippo.........

It's fine and should sound fine.......

LS

10. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    I have an MIA Jazz that does the samething and at first I was concerned. I used the saddle notches to get them aligned as close as possible, that helped. But ultimately like many folks here have said.. no sound difference no biggie.

11. Won't hurt a thing. Magnetic fields are more than 1/8" wide.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some are, some are not. Magnetic fields also vary in shape from pickup to pickup. I just installed a Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker in my own personal 7 string, and the poles don't line up on the bass side - and the treble strings are much louder. I'm going to have to take it out and reseat it into the factory route, which I hope won't require any routing.

Rule of thumb - if you can hear it, it's a problem. If not, don't worry about it.

13. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    If. It. Sounds. Good. It. Is. Good.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's not a big deal, but fender bass pickups were designed to have the string right between each pair of magnets, so as to slightly soften the attack that would damage fragile '50s-'60s bass speakers.

the whole idea of the threaded vintage saddles (and the newer american saddles) is that you would put the string in the right groove to give you this correct spacing.

just loosen the string and pop it over into the next groove.

15. your audience won't notice

16. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    And I'll second that!