Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bass_boarder, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Bass_boarder

Aug 5, 2003
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards and I have a question. I have a string bass (its a Werner i think) anyways yesterday when i was playing it i noticed that when i was playing pitz. that the fingerboard moved like a 16th of an inch when i pressed my thumb against to pluck the E string. It seems to be securly ancored on the top, but is this little give normal? Or should i have it brought it and fixed?
  2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Sounds like you may have a loose neck joint. Get it checked out before you have a neckless bass...
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    ...or a thin fingerboard... or a low-grade fingerboard. I've seen maple boards/thin ebony boards "give" quite a bit with stiff pizzicato technique.

Here's a little test to see if your neck joint is loose:

1)Stand the bass up and "grip" it with you legs, like a rockabilly guy does. This will stabilize the body of the instrument.

2)Put your left hand on the heel of the neck, with your fingers hanging over onto the rib.

3)Put your right hand on top of the scroll. *Gently* push and pull the scroll towards and away from you. If the neck joint is loose, your left hand will feel the "play" or loose-ness. It is not uncommon for plywoods and factory basses to have a little, itsy-bitsy play in this area. Don't worry about a little bit. If it is truly loose though, you will know it...;)