Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this not the origanal fretboard? (pics).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 28, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, I recently got a new bass, a 5 string fretless Ibanez roadstar.

I've been unable to find very little info on line about the model, less about a 5 string version and none about a 5 string fretless.

I'm wondering if in fact there is a 5 string fretless (factory) or whether or not this is a modded bass. The neck does look a bit tatty in parts and the fretboard looks nothing like what I'd expect a 17 year old lump of rosewood to look like.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't know about the fretboard but the headstock looks like it had issues. Why is the string wound backwards? :confused:

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeah, I actually mentioned something about the headstock being re-painted in areas for some bizzar reason taht I've yet to figure out.

PS - the strings the result of restringing it in the early hours of yesterday morning, I did the otehr 4 and was too tired to go and redo the 5th :spit:

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hahaa, your right actually,I just noticed I'd also put the G on backwards too:oops:

5. Maybe the fingerboard has been replaced.

On a fretless, the fingerboard is subject to wear, especially when using roundwound strings. On a fretted bass, you just have to replace the frets at some point. But when a fretless board has been leveled many times, at some point you have to replace it.

Also, rosewood is not the best choice for a fretless fingerboard. A harder wood like ebony is better.