Is this not the origanal fretboard? (pics).

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 28, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, I recently got a new bass, a 5 string fretless Ibanez roadstar.

I've been unable to find very little info on line about the model, less about a 5 string version and none about a 5 string fretless.

I'm wondering if in fact there is a 5 string fretless (factory) or whether or not this is a modded bass. The neck does look a bit tatty in parts and the fretboard looks nothing like what I'd expect a 17 year old lump of rosewood to look like.

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    pic 2

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Don't know about the fretboard but the headstock looks like it had issues. Why is the string wound backwards? :confused:

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Yeah, I actually mentioned something about the headstock being re-painted in areas for some bizzar reason taht I've yet to figure out.

PS - the strings the result of restringing it in the early hours of yesterday morning, I did the otehr 4 and was too tired to go and redo the 5th :spit:

5. hahaha......excuses excuses :spit:

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hahaa, your right actually,I just noticed I'd also put the G on backwards too:oops:

7. Maybe the fingerboard has been replaced.

On a fretless, the fingerboard is subject to wear, especially when using roundwound strings. On a fretted bass, you just have to replace the frets at some point. But when a fretless board has been leveled many times, at some point you have to replace it.

Also, rosewood is not the best choice for a fretless fingerboard. A harder wood like ebony is better.