Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this OK? -or should I be annoyed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Oct 16, 2002.

1. There is nothing wrong with that because...

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. He should not be doing that because....

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. It doesn't matter, depends on how different the versions are.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My guitarist/singer wants to do acoustic guitar/vocal versions of some of the songs the band does to enter in a singer/songwriter contest. He would not use any of the songs that I wrote the lyrics to. This is annoying me for some reason. Am I nuts or do I have a legit complaint?

2. I'd find that pretty annoying, too. One of my guitarists (who's going to get the boot here pretty soon) for some reason cannot do anything BUT make acoustic songs. Makes me mad, makes my lead guitarist mad, makes my drummer mad! I honestly would not know what to do if I were you. I'd be pretty mad about it though, taking a piece of work you all created together, and just use it again in a solo project.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, as singer I'm not so hot. Actually, he isn't either so there is that. :D

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I just entered a contest where the actual recording isn't supposed to matter -- your entry is judged on originality and content. They (supposedly) aren't judging you on how you sing, just what you're singing.

Maybe I'm missing something here -- why do you have such a problem with what your guitarist wants to do?

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I clicked the he doesn't have the right thingy... but uhhh, maybe if he gave credit where credit was due... but I really think he should do his own damn songs! :mad: ;) I mean, wouldn't that be the whole point of the contest?

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    If i were you, id just let it go, because if you did get your way, the singer wouldnt put 100% effort into singing, because HE didnt get HIS way. This isnt just a guitarist thing, its just a humaine thing.

Just let it slide, unless you feel you really really have to get your lyrics heard.

I dunno if im babbling on, if i am, just ignore me :)

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I don't really care about getting my lyrics heard on some sort of equal footing or something like that, I'm just wondering if it's wrong of him to use songs that are band material as a personal entry into a singer songwriter contest. If he wanted to use my lyrics it would obviously be wrong, but he's planning on using only songs to which he wrote the lyrics. This annoys me for some reason, but I can't quite figure out if I'm right to be annoyed or not. I sort of feel that he's misrepresenting himself and using things that our supposed to be for the collective good for his personal gain. At other moments I don't care at all. Get me? Put yourself in this situation and tell me what you think. Maybe I'm just an #@$*&$* and need to relax about it.

8. If he wrote the entire song, then it would be fin *with me* If someone else wrote the guitar parts and all that, then I would get mad.

9. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, if they're songs ya'll wrote as a group, he has no right to submit them to a contest without your permission. Of course, if he's taking a song and omitting the bass line that you wrote, I don't know how much of a complaint you have -- since he's not using your bass line, he's not stealing your ideas.

If I were in his position, I'd re-record the song acoustically (which you said he wants to do), but I'd list everyone that had a part in writing the song on the entry form (legally, he has to do this anyway). I would also agree to share any winnings with the members of the band, because that's the cool thing to do when you're in a band! ;)

Good luck!

EDIT: Check this out, maybe it'll help you.

10. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, it is. His entry should be 100% his own work, in my opinion.

11. I understand your pain, a singer I played with did the same thing. I felt the same way, I think I was worried that his comitment to the band just wasn't there anymore. Push come so shove his solo carrer went down the crapper and he ended up working harder to make our band better.

Then he turned into a raging booze bag a year later and we booted him anyways.
    But thats another story.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks for answering everyone.

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    entered the john lennon songwriting contest, eh?

my band was supposed to enter that one.

:(

14. Whoa Bliss! I smell a huge ego from here ala Sting and Bruce Springsteen. Actions DO speak louder than words, and IMHO I see this as his way of trying/starting to make it without the band. I'll try to write more later - lunch is over. I think I may have said enough, though. ;)

And YES, you absolutely have the right to be OVEN HEATED! :mad:

Later.

Mike J.

Don't let it chew you up too much, just enough to make you think.

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah Mike. I don't want to deal with him anymore. I think he consistently puts what he wants over what's good for the group. I quit once before and rejoined, but I think that was a mistake. He should tell it like it is and just start his solo career.

16. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I voted that what he's doing is okay. It isn't that I don't see the problem, but I don't think it is something to get worked up about. Not even a little bit. He's entering a contest and using the band's songs. So what? It doesn't detract in any way from your band, and I assume he isn't competing against any of the other band members, so I don't think he is causing any harm.

Even if you are annoyed, it might be a better move to just be supportive. Why add tension to your life?

Wait until he wins the contest and gets some kind of record deal and records the band's songs alone.. Then you can freak out! :p

Leanne

17. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Actually...

www.songwritingcompetition.com

Maybe it's not a good idea to post that here -- don't want to have too much competition! ;)

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't want to be rude, but I believe that things like integrity etc. are worth getting worked up about.

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Anyway, he saw my point instantly. He had know idea he was coming off that way. We worked it out. thanks everybody, for the advice.

20. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I agree w/Smash...enter yourself, and when you win you can laugh in his face:D