Is this okay.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stinkoman20xx, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I just got me a 5 string thumb bass bolt-on and the bottom of the fettboard dosent touch causing a gap. what is causing this, should i worry about this and how do i fix it?
  2. oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    I've got a five string rockbass corvette with the same gap. I'm not certain, but I think it's normal.
  3. some necks are angled back to facilitate having low action and playing comfortably. a lot of this depends on the type of bridge being used.
    i believe that a guitar such as a gibson les paul has a neck that's angled back due to the tune-o-matic bridge being used. where as a fender has a neck that is flat in the pocket and the bridge is flush with the body.

i have not studied warwicks close enough to see if this is something that they do. but it sounds like what you are noticing is completely normal.

if the neck explodes off the body, feel free to blame me. :bag:
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    don't worry man i got the same thing on my thumb 4. it's normal. wont effect anything....

enjoy a great bass!
  5. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Is it like this?

This is completely normal for the fretboard to extend farther than the neck. This would cause a gap between the fretboard and the body.

If the gap is where the arrow is in the attached picture, then it's not so normal and on a bass like that I would see about taking it back (depending on how big the gap is).