Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this OLP a safe choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Aug 6, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Im on a budget and tired of my Squier 4 (but i still love my Brice v2 5) I wanted to look into a used Music Man Sub (active) for $465, but that stay may be too much for me. I just want a nice, good sounding, good playing, budget bass for under $400.. But i'm just having a bitch of a time making up my mind, because there are just too many choices. Most of which are on Ebay and I can't try out, and the closest store to me is Sam Ash, and there selection sucks. I just want any input to what you think has the most bang for the mulah.. Any Specotors, Yamahas, OLP's, anything...

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I took that and added a new pre and pickup and it rocks my face!

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    i'm a lucky newbie(i upgraded my gear before a year of being playing, and i have been plating for almost 2 years), so i'll tell you what you should do:

First: save money for a good amp then buy it.

Second: used gear its usualy better than new cheap gear and if you dont like it you can sell it for the same cash amunt you obtained it or a little more if you are lucky.

Third: dont buy anything because it has the marcus miller sig on it (if you buy anything with "mark hoppus" sig on it you'll go stright to hell).

Fifth: what happened to fourth?

Fourth: (oh it was here) TRY everything you're buying before buying it

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You saw that auction too, I assume.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

hehe got me :D

6. Moxa13

Moxa13

Apr 14, 2003
    I play an olp fiver, that I swithced to fretless a few months back. Great bang for the buck. I liked the tone of the olp and lighter weight. Than the Yamahas and Spectors. Of course the last two are subjective, but I recomend the OLP.

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I just played a OLP MM2 at Guitar Center today. Holy crap, it was nice for the money. Great mid! Too bad I just bought that Traben Phoenix .. If the Traben doesn't work out, I know my next lil cheapy bass.