Is this one worth 1 cent???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dudie, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
  2. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looks like it will be a big project to get it playable (if it is), which might cost you tons down the road.

One of the Luther should give you a better estimate.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

What makes you think it isn't playable now? It looks like it's under string tension and everything is square. There could be issues, but you never know.

My teacher's home/teaching/practice bass looks a lot like that one and it sounds amazing.

Just remember that an old bass is like an old car. There's always something going wrong with it.
  4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I didn't get the big pic to open before. Dudie, will you be able to get your hands on it?

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Expect to spend 2-3K with insurance and brokerage to get it over here. Less if possibe but not as secure.

Expect to spend 5-15k to restore it to acceptable playing and structral condition as usually accepted in USA for a working Bass ready for re-sale if you want to move it...

It looks to be a 19th century German or Bohemian Bass. How much are the best ones worth in mint condition. Weigh that answer in as well. It is always a gamble when buying blind and as well when major restoration is necessary. I have seen a few Basses not worth their repair costs as well.

I have bought many Basses in the past that needed full restoration and turned down just as many that were offered for sale to me. You must know what you are doing when you make investments.

If you buy a building and fix it up and its worth less than what you have spent on it, then where do you stand? Out in the cold with no money left!!!
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Ummm, Ken? Dudie lives in the same country that it's being sold in? So the $2 - 3K "shipping" is a non-issue.

KRAVITZ - it'll need a new board ($900 - 1000 US), that's a nasty looking crack near the soundpost/bridge foot on the treble side. If the top comes off for any repairs on teh inside that's at least $500.

If you can get a similar bass for $5 - 9K US, then that's the repair estimate you'll need to beat.
    For a bass you can't hear yet.
  7. I wouldn't pass that one up if I was nearby!!! My wife would kill me but I just couldn't pass it up.
  8. It may be a blockless wonder?? A can see the braces through the F holes. The tuner keys are open rather than solid. Something you don't see that often. I know that doesn't mean anything Ken S.....just an observation.
  9. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Yeah Paul, I saw the Keys too, and the Back...... I am not so sure about the neck block. Just because the Ribs are raised at the neck doesn't mean it's blockless. You just have to look inside to see if it is STILL Blockless. Many of these Basses have had Blocks installed over time. I have only seen one Bass in my life withoiut a block.. What a POS it was..... Not worth fixing either at the state of dis-repair it was in.......

Also, the keys look nicer than the Cheaper Basses I have seen from that era but the gears are no better. Did you guy's know that they ALSO made Basses in Sweden as well? Yes, many makers from the 18-19th century. For some period, they banned all imports of string instruments so all the Violins-Basses were made within their own borders. That may even be a Sweedish Bass too.

Many of the Swedish instruments now get named Italian or German or whatever they look like but often NOT Sweedish. The Dutch, Spanish, Polish and Russians also made instruments but you rarely hear of them. We are so used to the basics from Italy, France, Germany, Bohemia-Czech, Austria-Hungry, England(UK) and USA that we forget that these were made all over including Australia as well as some other far off lands......
  10. I can't let it go....forgive me? Sweedish?
  11. Seriously , really good, pretty fire wood. Or part of a piece of visual art.
  12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Paul, did I spell it wrong or you have trouble believing it?
  13. Look - Someone is going to buy it. Right? might as well be him. I know that in LA, that would be snapped up in an instant. New fingerboard, crack repair, possible bassbar and would be on the street for $8,000. People will pay money for it because it's old. It looks to me like a very cheap factory bass from the first quarter of the 20th century. Its strung up with steel strings so it can't be that structurally unsound. If this guy gets it for little-to-no money, he can always sell it to someone who specializes in getting these things up and running cheaply for what he paid for it. It could be a major find. If not, as long as it's realy cheap, who cares?

14. Dudie

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks for all interesting answers! The bass is a bit to far away from were i live so i dont think it´s worth the tripp to look at it. BUT i must say that its an interesting thought. Im looking around for a new DB ( in secret for my wife :smug: )

KSB, Swedish ;)

Maybe i go for it, if you can persuade me more.

/ Hohooo ho ho
  15. My vote is to go for it!
  16. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Just one more bass, Just one more bass, Just one more bass, Just one more bass, Just one more bass, Just one more bass, :p
  17. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    The funny thing is that I have a few EBS Amps made in Sweden and We Share a Booth at Namm with them as well for the last 3 years. I even was invited to their annual Dinner at a 'Swedish' (?) Resturant and ate thier food. It was what they ate 200 years ago.. all Herring..... I can still taste it 2 years later..... I skipped on the dinner last year.... So... you think I could at least Spell the Word huh.. nah....The food killed a few brain cells I think... Something I wasn't insured Swedish.. Sweedish.. Sweedishes.. Who cares... I had enough 'Swede Dishes' to last me a
  18. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    I sent an email inquiring about this bass... here's some pics and the reply i received
    Jag har ett bud på 2500 kr och en som vill komma till helgen och ev köpa den, vill du lämna ett bud eller stå över. Jag skickar med några nytagna bilder.
    Basen finns i Trollhättan.
    070-716 58 44 (gärna dagtid)

Dudie: did you ever buy it?

Attached Files: