Is this out there???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Suburban, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A complete newbie question, because I always played flat, thus far....
    Here's my problem(s): I play a lot in church, where the music styles change often and quick!. Sometimes there is, for example, an intermission/transition of perhaps 16 bars between a smooth song and a heavy duty slap tune. In other words, from a bow effect fretless to a hardshell fretted sound. Without a break to re-EQ or change instruments. (and this is one of the easier transitions...)
    Sometimes I'm asked to play along a hymn, together with the organ, then right after that I back the gospel choir, they use electric keyboards, and then right on to praise and the grand piano! At best, there are 20 seconds in between....

So I figure it comes down to this:
    - EQ: a few different pre-sets with on-touch change between
    - pitch change as above

Are there remedies out there?
    What are the alternatives?
    What do YOU think would be the best way to handle this?

Guys'n'dolls - I need some help here!!!
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    You are probably the only one who cares about getting the right sound for the different movements. I would think 99% of the crowd don't notice you anyway: after all, you're the bass player, remember? ;)

Boss has a nifty new digital EQ (EQ-20?) that seems to be pretty good value for money.

Pitch change? You mean a pitch shifter? What would you use that for? The organ and piano aren't in the same pitch? Couldn't this be remedied by having two basses, one tuned in the organ's pitch and one in the piano's? The backup doesn't have to be in the BassLabs price leauge, you know.
  3. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    How about an A-B box (or a boss line selector) Which you could use to swap instruments. That way you only have to stomp and change. You should be able to do that in 20 seconds as well as activate a preset eq or something. Thought about a boss bass eq unit? (no... I don't work for boss!)
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :p :p BassLab is the backup :p :p

not quite true...

Gentlemen, time is a crucial(!) matter here. There is not enough time to change instruments...Or to stomp twice, for that matter, in a transition.
  5. I still have a boss geb-7 for sale... it doesnt have multiple presets but it can be used to store a single eq preset with a simple stomp... pm me or e-mail me if you want it.