Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this over power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Feb 21, 2002.

1. I was talking to a guy today about my interest to get two Aguilar GS112 cabs and run them through an Aguilar DB750. He said that was way too much power. I did the math and since it's 750w at 4ohms, it would be 375w to each cab and they are 300w cabs. 75w over isn't that big of a deal, is it?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Long as you don't dime it, I'd imagine it's almost a non-issue.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Did the guy work for Aguilar? Seems like a perfect fit to me!

4. Naw, he didn't work for. He knows a lot about their operations and speaks with them a lot, but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to power. Just cause he knows how it works and all that stuff, doesn't mean anything on that particular situation.

5. Well let me ask you guys something. Are there any advantages to getting the 359 over the 750? Also, a question on the 359. It's 200w at 8, 4, or 2ohms. So if you have two cabs into it though, will each get 200w or each will get 100w?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    100. 200 is your total power, and it's the same at all those impedances, more or less.

Re your questions, there's no need to worry about having more power than the cabs are rated for if you don't go crazy and crank the amp up too high. (I must say, it's refreshing to see someone thinking about overpowering a cab after seeing so many post about "underpowering" cabs.)

The only advantage I can see to the 359 over the 750 would be if you like the tone better, which is quite possible or have a religious requirement for all-tube power sections.;) According to the site, the 750 is actually lighter, despite being taller, and it has much more power.

7. That's what i thought, but i just wanted to make sure, seein if tubes worked completely different.

8. I run a pair of JBL E110 rated at 75 watts on one channel of a 3,000 watt amp. They survive just fine cuz I don't over power them.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    From what i've learned in these forums, going 75watts over should make no difference.

10. That's exactly what i thought i had learned here too. That's why i was asking. And i figure it's better to run 375w into 300w than 100w into 300w. Not because of technical problems, but i imagine it would be louder, even if one is all tube.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey cookie,

well, i've always been told you should make sure your power amp has MORE power than the speaker can handle, so you dont get any clipping which could damage the amp. i've been advised that underpowering a cab is the worst thing for it.

as long as you dont crank the amp to the max, you should be fine.

so in a way, i'm hestitant in getting the Aguilar DB359... but then again, if they think 200 watts is good enough to pair with their 300 watt 2x10, what am i to say???

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I wouldn't be worried.
    I used to run 475 watts into my 410TXF which is rated at 350 RMS.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This has been discussed a lot in previous threads, but IMO that advice is wrong as stated. Getting a bigger amp than your speaker is rated for does NOT prevent clipping. Only getting a bigger amp than you need to do your *gig* (so you never have to turn it up really high) does that. Once you have a big enough amp, you get no sonic or electronic benefit from having a cab that handles *less* than the amp's rated power. There's no such thing as underpowering a cab, but there is such a thing as a player being underpowered *for his/her playing situation*, and that's the thing you have to worry about.

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The DB359 is all tubed 200 watts RMS, but it will seem a lot louder, because you can push tubes harder. I am using my head with the Aguilar GS210, and while I think that they suit each other quite well, I would like to get an extension cab to handle the lows a little better. The GS210 is rated at 350 watts, but if I hit the deep switch, the cab bottoms out(about 1/2 volume). Not that I need that much bass, I'm just saying that the DB359 can put it out if you need it. Both are great. The advantages of the DB750 are basically increased head room. I just didn't want to wait for it to come out! :)