Is this package ok for beginners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arti, Sep 24, 2005.

1. :confused:

I'd go with an Ibanez jumpstart pack...

...Or get a SX at and a cheap amp.
  2. Arti

Sep 23, 2005
    The seller might be kind of an idiot but as long as I get a guitar with an amp and cable I'll be happy. Maybe he means 43" total, as I've seen basses advertised as 34" scale and 45" total.

The Ibanez is kind of out of my price range for now; I just want something crappy that I can learn with. The SX looks good but the stuff I get with that ebay package looks enticing.
  3. Yes! Check out the megathread! I bought one as my second bass and I would highly recommend them for beginners.

Here's the link... MegaThread

Now that I think about it. It took the spot of my Ibanez... :smug:
  4. Now that I look at it again... the package isn't that bad. Yamaha does make a Fender type bass like that and it says it comes with a 10 watter, strap and cable. So what the hell, I'd say go for it. He does have good feedback.

You should look for reviews on the bass and the amp before you buy it.
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Personally I wouldn't touch it. The bass is no name and you could get a louder/better sound plugging your bass into a home stereo than you could through that amp. Look for an Ibanez gsr 200 or a Yamaha rbx 170 for around 100 bucks or less on Ebay and then pick up a 30 or 50 watt amp for cheap. You would be getting much better equipment for around the same dollars and wouldn't have to upgrade for awhile. Just a thought.
  6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I started out on an Ibanez gsr 200. Not what I'd call a 'good' bass, but for learning, it's plenty good enough. Consider maybe a Rogue amp- they're pretty cheap, a bit on the crappy side, but good enough.
  7. I noticed the GSR-190 is $20 cheaper... If you care.
  8. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I second the suggestion of an SX from, and a cheap amp. Might cost you $30 more, but it'll be well worth it.

Look at it this way.
    Amp - meh either way:
    A little 10w amp is going to be blah either way you go. It'll never hold up to playing with a band, and will become your bedroom amp as soon as you start playing with other people and get a larger amp.

If you get the package you linked, you'll probably want to ditch the bass as soon as you get your feet under you.

If you go with the SX, you'll have a quality bass that you can swap some nicer pickups into as you progress and keep as a solid backup bass later down the road. (Look for SX threads here, lots of people playing $1k+ basses love their SX's.)

That's my advice. If it were me, I'd go SX without hesitation.
  9. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
  10. Comes with a little more, like a tuner and picks.

Plus, you get 5 more watts with that amp.
  11. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005

Is it just me or does the SX look exactly the same as a Squier P? I am looking at it and going it looks suprisingly like my squier, well in their photos anyway...

Oh yeah and get an SX over a no brand :smug:
  12. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    SX all the way! i was a skeptic, too, with the prices as low as they are, but I think they're as good as, if not better than MIM Fenders.
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well it is a P clone.
  14. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    That would be the logical conclusion that I should have made.
  15. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003

I disagree completely but will say that they are probably the best value for money at that price point.