1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this patch cable too taut?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BklynKen, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hello. I got this Pedaltrain Booster to use as a small pedal board for my two pedals, and it's a little narrower than I expected, so the patch cable, a Whirlwind, is more taut than I'd like it to be. Do you guys think this would be a problem?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    You don't want to see the angles I have my cables at if you're worried about that. Don't worry, it should be fine.

3. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    I don't see tautness as a problem, but the center cord is flexed to the extreme. Keep an eye on it to make sure the insulation doesn't crack.

Taut means pulled tightly from each end, and that's not what you have here.

4. Thanks to both of you. But by center cord, do you mean the power cable in the back? If so, thanks, but I don't think that will be a problem. It's a really good cable I had made, and it's been at much tighter angles. :) I meant the instrument cable between the pedals.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Those are designed to be used exactly that way.

6. Looks good.

That looks like the kind of pedal set up I would use. I don't use them, but I would have a pedal tuner and maybe a Looper of some sort.

7. I think he's referring to the smaller cable between the two pedals. I really dig it, but like he said, be careful it doesn't crack.

8. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If the patch cable bothers you, these connectors from EBS are brilliant:
    [​IMG]

9. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
    This was almost word for word what I thought when seeing that picture.

Most of patch cables can handle quite a bit of stress and the standard switchcraft type connectors (like BklynKen's) do a very good job of covering the contact point to prevent breakage except maybe in extreme circumstances. I've only broken one patch cable through twists, and it was a dimarzio I was pretty harsh with.

10. Those look great. But I love Whirlwind cables, and since everyone said that the bend is fine, I feel fine.

Thanks again to everyone.

11. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. those things are GREAT. if you want to have to replace the jacks on your pedals. they have to give so they tear them up when you move your board and jostle pedals.

horrible, awful things.

12. Worked out well.

Attached Files:

13. FYI: one thing I found was that the Velcro that came with the Pedaltrain booster wasn't very good. The pedals felt kind of wobbly on there. I picked up some Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners (dual lock) and they worked perfectly. I've read that they're too expensive to cover a large board, but to just cover two pedals, it was less than $5.

Now to just find something good to keep the bottom of the board from sliding around.

14. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    When you can get an E1 out of it it's too taut.