Is This Peavey Any Good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Sure. They've made variations on that amp for 20+ years. The best versions use a Black Widow speaker and get pretty loud. It has gone under various model numbers for a long time, and is usually available used for $250 or so. Heavy and loud.
  2. Peavey is to music equipment what MicroSoft is to computer software. Of course it is good. People like to trash it because it is so common. Look at the "REVIEW" section of this site. You'll fine more Peavey and Carvin reviewed than anyother brand. Peavey makes good stuff backed up by good service. And, it will be here 5 yrs from now when 1/2 of these boutique brands will just be a memory.
  3. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Great amp, Good tone, Great price and reliable.
    I had the first version of the TNT100 back in the late 70's, Long live the TNT series!
  4. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    I like mine enough to have it as my SN. It isn't to loud at first, but after about 15-45 hours of playing time, for the lack of better metaphor, the cherry pops and it is all of a sudden quite loud. At first, it will not handle an active PUP 5 very well, but the amp seems to grow as time goes on. I highly suggest it.
  5. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Peavey equipment lasts and has a good resale value. You can find many used Peavey products on and ebay that work very well for the price. Peavey also has most manuals online even for equipment that is 30 years old.
    Back in the Mid 80s I purchased a used TNT-130 and used it for many years before I moved to a larger setup. I gave it to a guitarist I was playing with who ran a line out of his Marshall amp into it to give him additional low end. He would roll all of the highs off on the TNT and boost the bass (sort of a biamp setup for guitar). That guitarist still has the amp today in working order (even though now he has a Line6 Guitar amp instead of a Marshall).
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    It's a good amp. It gets loud when you mess with it. However, it may take a while to coax a tone out of it that you can agree with. I've got one of the older models (late 90's). I think the best way to use it is to use a crossover (mine was built in) and use a smaller amp to handle your mids and highs. Then just let the 15 thump away the lows.
  7. they're pretty decent amps. I'm not a big fan of the tone, but they're loud and indestructible. I had the early 90s version, called the TNT 160. It's still kicking around my home town....
  8. dkmonroe

Jul 3, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, I'll give a slightly alternative opinion. I've owned one of these for about 7 years, and I think it's just average.

Mine has a Black Widow, which makes it heavy as heck, but it's excruciatingly hard to carry because it only has the one strap on the top. Maybe the newer ones have something different. It should really have two straps on the side, or some actual handles.

I was stunned when the worship group I was playing in relocated to a larger hall, and the TNT couldn't cut it volume wise. Very disappointing. The bassist in another band at the same church had another Peavey combo that was 100 watts, and it kicked the TNT's butt. The difference was startling.

Also, I've never quite got a satisfactory tone out of the TNT. Even with the EQ, it just doesn't sound sweet. I've now got an active bass, and with the Bright button pushed in, the TNT makes my Vigier bass sound like clacking tin cans. My Fender bass sounds better, though.

I'm not saying this is a bad amp, by any means, but it's never really been satisfactory for me. I'm not a brand snob; in fact, I'm currently trying to get rid of the TNT and some other equipment so that I can put together a system centered around a head by another brand that everybody hates - CRATE! I picked up one of those BXH 220 heads at Mars. I really like the contour feature.
  9. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    The Peavey TNT is not a bad amp. I started out on one. Can't beat the price .. new or used. I was never crazy about the tone however.

These days, I prefer the SWR WM12 with a SansAmp (ADI not the BDI) on the front end. I play DB primarily but also occasionally double on BG. I use this setup for 70% of my shows (the others with a drummer require more horesepower).

A SansAmp might be a way to massage a little better tone out of the Peavey.

10. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I helped a friend of mine find an amp for his son and I initially was looking at the Peavey heads and 4-10 cabs which I think sound decent for the money. I have never liked Peavey combos and just kinda put them out of my mind; and yes I had one when I first started playing bass.

On a whim I plugged into the new Peavey TNT 15 with a horn. I was really amazed at how much they have improved on tone! I think the horn added a lot the overall tone that I liked from the combo. He ends up buying this combo. So a few months ago I would have steered anyone away from the combos but now I think they're really decent sounding.

11. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    ok so it's a moderately good amp, but how does it compare to the carvin pb200? better? worse? i'm trying to decide on a new amp, the peavey, carvin, or ampeg ba-115. i was set on the ampeg but then i heard the tweeter buzzes and it doesn't sound good turned up loud. plus i like how the peavey and carvin have more features. but i don't know i'm still thinking about.
  12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I'd like to A/B it with the TNT130BW I am currently using. The one I'm using now is from the mid-80's; it rattles something fierce, but unfortunately a new Genz-Benz ML200-210T cannot be budgeted. It's funny to watch the TNT130 slide backwards on a tile floor when you hit a particular note, though. Imagine the miles you could go if it had casters on the bottom.
  13. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm not a big fan of the TNT, personally, but in general I like Peavey gear a lot and have owned and used a couple different Peavey rigs for the past eight or nine years.
  14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive still got mine. Like the Energizer bunny, it keeps going....
  15. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´ve never been a good friend of Peavey bass stuff........ my Microbass was cool, though.