1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this Pickup change going to work or not? Need Input.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stflbn, Mar 14, 2008.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've decided I'd like to put these new Seymour Duncan exposed coil Soapbars into my Schecter Studio5 in place of my EMG 40hz's. The pickups themselves are obviously drop-ins, but my concern is with String Spacing.

[​IMG]
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/passive_phase_i/

Keep the existing EMG 3-band for now.

I was ready to order them, then I noticed the SD dimensions.
    The bridge pickup is designed for basses with string spacing of 74mm and the neck pickup is designed for string spacing of 70mm (measured center of low B string to center of G string).

I measured my narrow spaced Schecter and it measures out at:
    Neck Pickup middle of B to G = 61.5mm
    Bridge Pickup middle of B to G = 64mm

String width at Bridge = 68mm
    Width of my Fretboard at highest fret = 68mm

I don't see how the exposed coils are going to line up. Granted, I could do a bridge change to one with an adjustable string widths, but then it seems like I'd really be pushing to the edge of my fretboard.

Now, I hardly ever do anything above about the 13th fret, so nearing the 2nd octave isn't used by me.

Just curious what others think. Do-able? Not?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    This isn't going to work. Going to have to go with something different that's either a rail type design that can handle my narrow string spacing, or just live with the EMG's.

Blehhhh.