1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this plucking or slapping or neither?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ari Nobody, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:58 AM.

1. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020

J-Bassomatic and eddybuzzard like this.
  2. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    Plectrum I would venture.

3. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    It was played finger style actually. No plectrums were involved. And absolutely no effects either, not even overdrive.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So it was a trick question?

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It sounds a lot like Geddy's fret buzz tone.

Reedt2000, gebass6 and Ari Nobody like this.
  6. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    I wanted to find out if there was an actual word used to describe this kind of sound achieved by playing finger style. 'Plucking' doesn't sound (pun not so unintended) right in my opinion.

7. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    Really? It sounds quite like a StingRay played with a pick to me. Especially at 2.20.

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Fret buzz. Chris Squire and Geddy Lee (among others) made a thing out of it. The tone sounds a lot like their 70s tones. Was it played on a Rickenbacker?

Ari Nobody likes this.
  9. fretlessbass

fretlessbass Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I like it!

Ari Nobody likes this.
  10. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    You're quite right that it sounds that way. But it was played on a late '90s Squier PJ Special with a slightly twisted neck. Hence the rather musical fret buzz a la Geddy Lee our friend alluded to above.

mcnach likes this.
  11. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    When played clean, it's a rather hollow/bland tone without the rich harmonic overtones of a Rickenbacker. Please see explanation above.

12. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    No so much the buzz, but the attack. That sounds a lot like a pick.

Ari Nobody likes this.
  13. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    I believe it was due to the rather "enthusiastic" plucking. I know it sounds like it was played with a pick. But I also know it was played with the fingers. I'm the dude who played this bass line.

So I guess there is no actual word describing this sort of playing even though John Entwistle pioneered it half a century ago?

mcnach, reynhart and Reedt2000 like this.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I call it bouncing the strings off the frets. It’s a fairly common technique in my bag.

Iristone, Bret Music, Wasnex and 2 others like this.
  15. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    But there is no actual word to signify this sort of technique, right? We have to always resort to a full sentence to describe it?

16. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    We can make up a term, how about “fretbouncing”? Technically I do this on my fretless as well lol.

17. Lagado

Lagado

Jan 6, 2020
    I believe it was loosely referred to as Entwistle's "Typewriter" method. Tapping the strings down onto the frets.

bass4u, Wasnex, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    Except I wasn't doing that. It was not played over the fingerboard. The strings were plucked (albeit rather vigorously) in the area between the split-coil pup and the end of the fingerboard.

19. RumblinThunder

RumblinThunder

Aug 11, 2009
    Call it heavy handed ?

20. Ari Nobody

Ari Nobody

Apr 18, 2020
    :thumbsup:
    OK, let's leave it at that.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020