Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this possible? ....and other questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Jun 14, 2001.

1. So here's the scoop... I'm working on getting some specs together for a custom bass, and now I'm working on the pickups and switching options. Anyway, here are the series of questions I need answered:

If I set up a switch to just have one coil of an EMG 40DC pickup on, would it approximate the tone of an EMG 40J pickup at all? Also, is this even a possibility for this particular model of pickup?

Could I set up 3-pos switches to select the neck pup / both / bridge pu?

Also, would it be possible to wire this up with a 2-band EQ (bass, treble, pup balance)?

I'm trying to build a bass that sounds great for metal/hard rock and has the ability to really slice through the mix. The reason I want the ability to switch b/w the coils and such is so I can get the maximum tonal variation possible. I'm really interested in emulating Jason Newsted's (Metallica) tone, but I don't have the money for a Sadowsky.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I do not know the answers to all your questions, but I do know that the EMG website has a lot of detailed information, including some wiring diagrams. EMG also makes two- and three-band onboard EQ circuits.

www.emginc.com

They also have a downloadable pdf catalog that has a lot of info in it. I have e-mailed them a couple of times with technical or application questions and recieved quick responses.

3. Ugh..... I just check out the EMG site and it doesn't look like this is at all possible. There's no way to wire in any sort of coil tap for their double coil pickups.....

So I guess that leads to another question. Which pickups would help for cutting through the mix better, the DCs or the Js?

Also, the 40Js say they have less low end.... If I put two of these bad boys in, does that mean I would be lacking in my low end?

4. Just a little thought on this one.

Nice though ultimate control is, beware of filling the body full of knobs and switches. Chances are you'll never use them all anyway.

Here's what I did once to rationalise this.

With the bass finished but with, as yet, NO HOLES for pots and switches cut in the control compartment, I lashed up the wiring. You know, like a bird's nest of wires hanging out the control comp'. Set up whatever you think you might need for the pups, series parallel switching, coil taps, the lot. Then play for a while, reherse a bit, etc.

I reckon you'll soon find you can dispense with much of the switching to leave just a few controls but those ones are what you really need.

Rockin John

5. The way it's looking now, I'll just be going with the Aguilar preamp and no switching of any kind. I'll just have volume, bass, treble, and balance at my disposal. As I stated in my second post to this topic, it's now up to which pickups I decide on, so I really need some help with that decision.

6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Actually if you look on EMG's website, they have series of pickups coming out to just what you want. There the TW series and are based on the CS series and are swtichable from humbucker to single coil modes. Check 'em out.

7. It says the TW pickups are going to be patterned after the CS pickups. I think from the description given, the CS pickups would be too warm for my application, but I'm not sure. I'm sure if Nino would show up, he could shed some light on this since he's got some US Spectors with CS pickups in them. The other problem is that the pickups may not be out by the time I start the order to work on my custom...

Ugh, this is so much harder than I thought it would be!

8. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I've used both the cs and dc pickups and there's not that much difference. The CS are a little warmer, but with an active eq a slight treble boost will bring them to sound very, very close to the DC's. And I've tried these in the same bass so the pickups were the only variable.

9. Excellent...... Now let's just hope EMG can get those puppies out soon!

10. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hey KillerB - after our discussion a while ago I've bought a DC to use as the bridge pup and a CS in the neck position. Stumped up for a BTC active system as well. All I need now is the bass to put them in ('Houston' we are at Warmoth minus 19 days and counting)

11. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Cool. You know after you mentioned that idea I tried a DC at the bridge and a CS at the neck. It was a pretty cool combination. Tried it the other way around too and wasn't really thrilled w/ the results. Not bad just nothing to impressive. I'm thinking you'll dig the combination you going for. I hear good things about warmoth parts, especially if you have a really good tech to the setup etc.. What kind of body/neck are you ordering?