1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Is this possible...(graphite rods)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mental Octopus, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I have a Stingray that i have recently acquired and i love everything about it...except it doesn't really cooperate with the New England weather. I have been planning on sending the neck out to get a much needed refret and a new nut (which i think is adding to the warping problem). I am also getting the profile shaved down a little bit and making the neck a little narrower to my preferences.

I am big on stability - i travel a lot so it is a must, and I am worried that making the neck thinner would make stability worse. I was wondering if this was possible on a neck: is there a way to remove the fingerboard, and put graphite rods beside the truss rod? i know that many builders offer this, but has it ever been added to a neck afterwords? am i going to far? i also assume that the costs would be considerable...but i am not really down with the technical stuff on a bass so i just want to make sure i am not making a completely impossible request...

:bag:

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Well first of all thinning your neck will not help with stability, if anything it will surely be worse.
    To put graphite in your existing neck, would require removing your fretboard, almost certainly risky unless you want a new fretboard.
    You must be travelling to completely different environments, and if that's the case you have only a few options, 1) buy a new graphite neck and that might not solve it, or 2) bring a truss rod tool with you and learn how to adjust it yourself. It's really not hard to do.
    My suggestion would be #2.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Couldn't have said better.

1.) I think Moses makes directly compatible graphite mm-necks, but some have been having issues with their quality lately.
    1 1/2.) Have a neck custom-made for you with more stable woods and graphite bars. That might run you a few hundred bucks.

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah i was pretty certain that was the response i would get. i just wanted to see if there was a way to make it more stable but i guess it is kind of tough to do that. thanks for the responses, i guess graphite might be my best option.

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    As a mechanic once said to me, "Sure it's possible. It's only money, right?"

In the long run it might be cheaper to get a new neck made (or make one yourself, if you're into that) with CF rods in place. That way if it doesn't solve your problems you've still got a working neck to toss on. Also, it'll let you get the right profile without risking the further desabilization of your existing neck.

You'll have to shop around to see if it's economically viable, but that'd be my first choice.

-Nate