Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this possible/idiotic?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Im a sock, May 4, 2004.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    This has been bugging me for a couple of days, and i know it would be a ton of work and money to do, but....

Would it work if I installed half of a P-Bass pickup under the D and G strings of my bass and have separate volume, output, and on/off controls?

My reason for doing this would be so I could play bass lines on the E and A strings with my left hand while my right hand taps chords. I think it would be useful so the chords or harmonics could be distorted or have some other effect applied to them while the bassline remains clean. Not only that, but I could get a nice blend of clean/distorted because the bass's stock pickups would still output a clean signal for the D and G strings.

EDIT: I drew a real quick picture in paint. Its a crappy picture, but it gives you a basic idea of what i'm thinking.
    What do you think?

2. yeah- it's been done- Shergold had this option of splitting the E + A and D + G coil outputs on their stereo Marathon bass (using a split coil pickup which was like a P but in a single shell) -
    http://www.shergold.co.uk/models.html

the drawback is you'll lose the humbucking feature of the P bass pickup (although Dimarzio made a P pickup where each half was a dual rail humbucker)