1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Is this possible/idiotic?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Im a sock, May 4, 2004.

1. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    This has been bugging me for a couple of days, and i know it would be a ton of work and money to do, but....

Would it work if I installed half of a P-Bass pickup under the D and G strings of my bass and have separate volume, output, and on/off controls?

My reason for doing this would be so I could play bass lines on the E and A strings with my left hand while my right hand taps chords. I think it would be useful so the chords or harmonics could be distorted or have some other effect applied to them while the bassline remains clean. Not only that, but I could get a nice blend of clean/distorted because the bass's stock pickups would still output a clean signal for the D and G strings.

EDIT: I drew a real quick picture in paint. Its a crappy picture, but it gives you a basic idea of what i'm thinking.
    What do you think?

2. yeah- it's been done- Shergold had this option of splitting the E + A and D + G coil outputs on their stereo Marathon bass (using a split coil pickup which was like a P but in a single shell) -
    http://www.shergold.co.uk/models.html

the drawback is you'll lose the humbucking feature of the P bass pickup (although Dimarzio made a P pickup where each half was a dual rail humbucker)