Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Is this possible in some way?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by uly_, Aug 16, 2005.

1. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hello fellow bassplayers.

First and foremost; I'm afraid this is a new Guv'Nor thread, know there's been a few of them lately :smug:

Anyway, I have an original guv'nor which I love the sound of, but we all know it's a pedal designed for guitar players so it cuts some lows(at least for my taste it does!) even with the bass knop on 10 and treble on 0.

Therefore I came to think about if there was some way you could "EQ it up" with some loop/splitter-thingy? I've made a simple layout of my pedals where you can see my idea:

Setup

Is there such a box or do I have to make one myself? And if there is: will it somehow bypass anything? when I switch the EQ/Guvnor on will my compressor, sansamp, delay and wah turn off?

Anyway I hope you understand what I mean :eyebrow:

Thanks in advance.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, as I'm certain was mentioned in one of the other guvnor threads you could use one with a boss ls-2 to blend dry/wet

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Loooper.com can also make a wet/dry blend box for about $45. I was going to have him make me one.

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks for the replies guys.

When you say "wet/dry blend" you mean I will be able to mix the A and B signal hearing them both when I kick in the B signal(EQ -> Guvnor), right?

So basically this pedal will do the trick for me:

2-looper

Just with the wet/dry knop placed in the middle?

Thanks again.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    although of course, the usual loooper caveat about wet/dry mixing not being fullproof applies here as always.

The loooper is a passive blend, and when you match signals of different impedance (such as your dry bass sound and the output of a pedal) there can be issues. It might work for you, but even Mr Loooper advises that it's not perfect.

The Boss LS-2 is an active blend, so you can easily dial in a wet/dry mix with none of those issues

6. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    In addition, there are the occasional stomp boxes that happen to invert the signal. A wet/dry mix can get pretty messy in those cases.

Dumb question: Any possibility of your modifying the Guv'Nor for improved bottom end?

'rick

EDIT: I just took a peek at the Guv'nor schematic and this is one of those occasional inverting stomp boxes. Might still work okay based on davidmwilson's post, but "try before you buy" would be wise, if you can pull that off.

7. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    If there is I'd like to know of it :)

Seems like I'm better off with the boss LS pedal.

I came to think that if I take the 2-Looper(shown on the picture above) and have him make another stomp-knop called "A&B" so I'll run signal A all the time and then kick in signal B on top of the A so both are running.

Confused?

Made a little something simple: Setup take 3

Maybe i'm the one whos confused here :confused:

8. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Well, ignoring the tone stack, there are three capacitors in the signal chain that limit low frequency response: C5, C3, and C9. At a quick glance I think the first thing I'd try is bridging C5 (the input capacitor, .0096uF) with something larger to see if it makes a helpful difference. The others may have a bearing also, but given the biasing resistor, C5 looks to be putting you 3db down at just above 100Hz, so that may be the main culprit.

If you try it, let us know what you find out!

'rick